Kernel Panic on Boot. Can't even boot from Install disc :(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Predator314, May 5, 2010.

1. Predator314 macrumors newbie

24" iMac, 3.06 Ghz CPU, 500GB HD, 2GB RAM

My imac locked up on me the other day while watching a DVD. There were a few lines and splotches on the screen in various colors and the system just became unresponsive. I rebooted and the system came right back up, but when I started the DVD, it immediately crashed again. After that point, every time I tried to boot, it went straight into kernel panic (You must restart your computer message).

I tried resetting the PRAM, but that didn't help. I also did the hardware diagnostic test (hold D during boot) and that said everything was OK.

I was able to boot from the CD. After a few unsuccessful attempts at restoring the OS from backup, it finally worked. Previous tries only resulted in the system locking up. Once I finally got everything running again, the system worked great. I worked it pretty hard in the next 24 hours after fixing it. No problems during use. Then I left for a few hours and came back to LOCKED UP COMPUTER AGAIN! Same squiggly lines on the screen.

Now I can boot into the hardware diagnostic test if need be. However, I can't boot into the computer any other way. Booting from hard disk, installation dvd/cd, and even Safe mode all cause a kernel panic. Also, I might add, that I had all peripherals unplugged from the machine and still got the kernel panic messages.

Any ideas? Closest Applestore is 3 hours away. The closest private licensed repair place is 60 miles away. I called Apple Support and they pretty much blew me off because My AppleCare was up about 6 months ago and I'm sure this would be a hard case to do over the phone. They suggested I take it in to get looked at.

I have no problem ordering parts and taking this machine apart and replacing parts. I'm just really looking for a way to diagnose what is actually broken!

Thanks!

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

3. Visnes macrumors newbie

Got the same problem today.

The graphics went crazy when logging into WoW, the sound was there, but I couldn't move the mouse or use the keyboard. Had to hard reset. When it came back up, I tried again just to see if it would happen again. Sure enough, the thing crashed again, this time though I could move the mouse pointer to the top of the screen and see it although everything else was black.

I rebooted and got a kernel panic. Rebooted again, got another one. Started the diagnostic tool, it hung up at around 5 minutes. Then I turned it off for a couple of minutes, started again and voila, I'm inside OS X again.

Backing up everything, and doing all the regular things like verifying the disk, fixing permissions. When that is done I'll reset the SMC and PRAM. I'll probably re-install OS X again just to be on the safe side.

The not-so-funny thing is that I got the thing back from having its logic board changed about a week ago because last time the whole GPU was all stupid and gave me an orange screen. :p Also sending an e-mail to the tech who fixed it for me, to hear his input.

I'll keep you posted. ;)

Forgot. Same hardware, only 4 GB instead of 2 GB, and 1 TB instead of 500 GB.