Kernel Panic on brand new MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by flyguy456, Dec 18, 2007.

1. flyguy456 macrumors newbie

Alright, I had a late 2006 MacBook. I was getting Kernel panics all over the place--no consistent cause really. I got a new logic board, hard-drive, they reseated the RAM--twice--and eventually they got as fed up as I was and sent me a new computer. I got the new one yesterday and installed my RAM upgrade. They checked that at the store and said it wasn't the original problem so I know the RAM is good. Then I transferred my music and pictures from my external drive. The next morning I got a kernel panic on the new computer. What could be the cause of this? Is it a virus that came from a file on the external? How do I search and destroy? I'm a new Mac user and I really want to figure this out!

2. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

It wouldn't be a virus, it could be any of your peripherals, can you post the most recent part of your panic.log?

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Also consider this. Just because the Apple store told you the issue wasn't RAM doesn't mean it is not your ram after all. I would have probably left the RAM out for the time being then transferred files...then added the RAM. At least rule out things one by one.

Perhaps you need to do a fresh install, take out that ram first and then transfer your files. Restart and see what happens. If all is well add that RAM back in and then restart. If you get a KP then you know it's the RAM.

4. flyguy456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, can I just put the old RAM back in and just use that until I get a Kernel panic? If I don't get one then I know its the RAM right? Also, can Kernel panics screw up the computer irreparably? Or are they not those types of errors?

5. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

Kernel Panics are there to tell you that something is wrong, they don't damage your machine, it just means that there is a problem. If you suspect the RAM, I would start testing it one stick at a time with the old RAM, then switch to the new ram and see.

6. flyguy456 thread starter macrumors newbie

So you think it sounds like RAM? One weird thing that happened this morning was that the MacBook froze up when I ran a disk utility...RAM connected?

7. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

8. flyguy456 thread starter macrumors newbie

It froze up. I could move the mouse but the screen was unresponsive.

9. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Take that ram out and see what happens.

10. flyguy456 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright, i put the 1gig of RAM back in and it seems to be working fine. knock on wood...i did a permission check and i got all of this stuff. what does it all mean?

Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/GraphicsAppSupport.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QuartzComposer.framework", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are drwxr-xr-x .
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/da.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/da.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/da.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/da.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/da.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/da.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/da.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/da.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/da.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Dutch.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Dutch.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Dutch.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Dutch.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Dutch.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Dutch.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Dutch.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Dutch.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Dutch.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/fi.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/fi.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/fi.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/fi.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/fi.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/fi.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/fi.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/fi.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/fi.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/French.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/French.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/French.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/French.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/French.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/French.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/French.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/French.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/French.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/German.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/German.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/German.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/German.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/German.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/German.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/German.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/German.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/German.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Italian.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Italian.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Italian.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Italian.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Italian.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Italian.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Italian.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Italian.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Italian.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Japanese.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Japanese.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Japanese.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Japanese.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Japanese.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Japanese.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Japanese.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Japanese.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Japanese.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ko.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ko.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ko.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ko.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ko.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ko.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ko.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ko.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ko.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/no.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/no.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/no.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/no.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/no.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/no.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/no.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/no.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/no.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pl.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pl.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pl.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pl.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pl.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pl.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pl.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pl.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pl.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt_PT.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt_PT.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt_PT.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt_PT.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt_PT.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt_PT.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt_PT.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt_PT.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/pt_PT.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ru.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ru.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ru.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ru.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ru.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ru.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ru.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ru.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/ru.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Spanish.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Spanish.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Spanish.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Spanish.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Spanish.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Spanish.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Spanish.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Spanish.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/Spanish.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/sv.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/sv.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/sv.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/sv.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/sv.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/sv.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/sv.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/sv.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/sv.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_CN.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flags".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Flowers".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fruit".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Fung Shui".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Funk Animals".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Gems".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Hollowbody Guitars".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Planets".
    ACL missing on "System/Library/User Template/zh_TW.lproj/Pictures/iChat Icons/Tribal Masks".

Permissions verification complete

What does ACL missing mean?

11. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

It would really help to see your panic.log next time it kp's.

Are you running Leopard?

The "ACL missing" message seems irrelevant as it is not important system files at all.

12. flyguy456 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I'm running leopard. I replaced the RAM with the 1gig instead of 2 gig and it hasn't acted up. I guess it was the RAM. Is that likely that Apple missed that problem two or three times when it was in the shop with them?

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

They don't have time to test RAM, especially third party RAM unless evidence clearly indicate it's the RAM. There are RAM tests and also your Mac comes with diagnostics disk (usually the restore disk), but the RAM tests don't really catch 100% of problems.

In your case it's most likely the RAM.

Also, the repair permission outputs isn't much of a concern.