Kernel Panic on New Retina MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by abmedia, Oct 19, 2018.

1. abmedia macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I bought a new MacBook and received it today. Upon installing some apps, (Google Chrome, Spotify, Logic X) my computer had needed to restart, and gave me the kernel panic screen. Upon looking at the diagnostic report, the app that caused it to happen was the Google Chrome Helper. I also upgraded to Mojave after powering on, and charging for a bit. Should I worry about the kernel panic, and return it? I'm currently streaming and typing this on it in Google Chrome, without any issues whatsoever.

Thank you!

2. fokmik macrumors 68040

what macOS do you have installed?

3. LTENETWORK macrumors member

LTENETWORK

Most kernel panic is if hardware issue. But otherwise try reinstall using Opt+Cmd+R. If still same bring back to Apple.

4. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Any reason why you'd want to use Chrome instead of Safari? Chrome is known for not playing nice.

5. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

Why don't you take the thing back and get a refund, and wait for the new MacBooks to come out in what, ten days? Apple event is on the 30th.

6. abmedia thread starter macrumors newbie

I have MacOS Mojave installed. I installed it after receiving it. I should also mention it's the Intel i5 version with the the 512GB SSD.
    I am going to try that now. Thank you!

I've been using Chrome for a long time. I don't have to use it, but was going back to what I used. I'm currently uninstalled Chrome, and am using Safari and Firefox. I like having Firefox for extensions, like UBlock Origin and DarkReader. From my understanding Safari no longer supports extensions.

I was originally going to wait for the new, however I was able to get the current gen. for hefty discount. If they make a major refresh I was considering returning it now and getting the new MacBook, but I don't need the newest computer. I'm heavily considering returning it now.

7. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

Safari still "supports" extensions.
    Just a very limited number of them...

8. LTENETWORK macrumors member

LTENETWORK

9. citivolus macrumors 6502a

I would first check the return window of where you bought it from. You may be able to hold onto it until the 10/30 event and then decide what to do.

10. abmedia thread starter macrumors newbie

I will still be in my return period for the event. I'll watch it and see, however unless there's a major upgrade, I plan on keeping it. The i5 and 512gb SSD upgrade, is worth more to me than getting a a base model with a major upgrade. I won't be able to afford to get the new model along with the upgrades I have on my current machine. Anyhow, I've been using it heavily now for the last few days, including editing a hour and a half video project on Final Cut Pro. I haven't had any issues since.

11. fokmik macrumors 68040

why keep it if you have KP ? or that was just one time deal?

12. abmedia thread starter macrumors newbie

It only has happened once. It hasn't been happening repeatedly. I reinstalled Mojave on it after it happened, and it has been sooth sailing since. I also did the built-in Apple Diagnosis which came back with no hardware or software issues. I've been using it pretty much as my main machine now, using it probably 5-6 hours a day, and have not had any issues with it. Do you think I should return it?

13. fokmik macrumors 68040