Kernel Panic on RMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by heloise, Jul 1, 2012.

1. heloise macrumors member

I just had my first kernel panic in several years on my new RMBP. It was asleep for about 20 hours and when I woke it up it let me log in and then it kernel panicked. Should I take it to the genius bar or not bother unless it does it again? Has anyone else experienced this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you get a screen that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    It's called a kernel panic. If it doesn't happen again, or very infrequently, don't worry about it.
    "You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) message appears (Mac OS X v10.5, 10.6)
    Mac OS X 10.7 Help: If “You need to restart your computer” appears
    Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic
    Understanding and Debugging Kernel Panics
    Resolving Kernel Panics

3. heloise thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I did actually know what that was called. That is what happened. I just got worried because on my 08 MBA it happened all the time when the logic board was failing so now it just gives me the willies.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't be concerned unless it happens frequently. If it does, the other links should help you identify the source of the problem.

5. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

I wouldn't worry too much I got my first crash today where the screen went all green and red and fuzzy. Just powered off and started up again... Most of everything was recovered from where I left off.

To be fair to the system I was running Daz studio, modo, Photoshop, Vue, Safari, Sublime Text, Mail, Terminal and a few other twiddly things all together at the time.

The system is epic! It's truly great!