Kernel Panic or Whatever, I Don't Even Know

Discussion in 'macOS' started by whoamygod, Jan 8, 2009.

1. whoamygod macrumors newbie

I'm on a 24" iMac purchased almost exactly one year ago. Last night, out of nowhere, I got the "You need to restart your computer..." dialogue which I have come to find out is something called a kernel panic. At that point, I restarted the computer and it gave me that message again while I was still on the grey screen with the Apple logo. So, I turned it off and unplugged it for a while and then booted back up. Everything seemed to be fine and I used it for a while and then put it to sleep and went to bed. When I woke the computer up this morning it almost immediately gave me that message again.

So, I've been doing a lot of reading this morning and trying to figure out what the problem is. I took out my third party RAM and put the original back in, but that didn't change anything. I've tried all kinds of different keys and combinations to hold as it starts up, but only one has done anything: Single User Mode (Command + S). I don't know what to do with that. I put in the install disc, but I can't get it to do anything and now it's stuck in there and I can't get to eject.

So, now the computer is at the point that it will get to the grey screen with the Apple logo, but the little spinning gear thing under that won't ever appear. It will either hang here or just keep restarting itself at that point or before it even gets there. I don't ever even get that kernel panic message anymore.

I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Basically, a kernel panic can happen again, again and again. I had to do a reinstall from my discs that came with my MBAir. I did the permission repair and disk repair procedures, then reset the PRAM and everything was fine, until it experienced another kernel panic several weeks later. I was running youtube, powerpoint, word, keynote, Safari and Firefox at the same time. Took it to the Apple Store and their diagnosis couldn't determine if it was a hardware or software issue. Did a complete erase and reinstall per their instructions and I haven't had a problem since. PM me if you like...:(

3. whoamygod thread starter macrumors newbie

PM'ed SFStateStudent

Anyone have any input while I wait for a reply?

4. Mercellus macrumors regular

It could be a faulty hard drive (or possibly the logic board) causing the issues if you've already replaced the RAM with the Apple supplied memory. Have you tried running a hardware diagnostic test by booting the computer and immediately holding down the D key?