Kernel Panic (panic)!! Please help. Cannot get my macbook back up..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by n1dwort, Mar 16, 2012.

1. n1dwort, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

n1dwort macrumors newbie

Ok. A couple day ago I wanted to do a fresh install because I had Leopard and Lion on two separate partitions and I wanted the new Lion update that'd let me use pro tools 9. I had 70 some-odd gigs on leopard and the rest on Lion with a 320gb hard drive. Bought this macbook pro new a little under a year ago (mid 2011. When I tried to boot up by holding "C," I got a kernel panic but didn't know what it was at the time. That was part of the reason why I wanted to do a fresh install. I backed up all my files, booted from my leopard cd, I could only erase the free space on my hard drive, and haven't been able to do anything else since.. Booting while holding C gave me a panic everytime. I've checked and verified the disk a million times in disk utility. After erasing my hard drive, it was saying that it couldn't unmount so I wasn't able to reformat it. I can't boot from the cd, it gives me a panic. Sooo today.. I went to fry's... Bought a $25 kit to open my macbook. Took out the hard drive, put it in an enclosure, got on my gf's windows pc, reformatted it and erased everything left on it hoping that it'd stop saying it was unable to be unmounted.. Also, I took out my ram, each one only leaving one in both times and booted. Sooo my ram's not the issue unless both of them are "gone" for some reason. Not my hard drive because I wiped it cleaner than baby booty.. I've been resetting the pr ram this whole time.. I've done everything this forum and everyone on the net's said about this 18 times over.. After reformatting, I'm getting a white screen with a gray blinking folder. After spending money on the enclosure and the tools that I wanted to keep in case this happened again, I really don't want to pay $50-$60 to apple to get this fixed this one time.. Please tell me what I should do.

Please don't tell me to start with C, cmd option, cmd r, boot from my cd, or check the disk. None of these work by any means.. I absolutely can't get to disk utility unless you know another way I haven't heard of.. I really want to get this done like yesterday because I have deadlines for projects for people that I can't even fulfill because I'm wasting time with this which means I'll be even more broke...

2. jcrandall23 macrumors newbie

I'm going to guess that the problem is that you reformatted your HD using Windows, which most likely used NTFS as the file system. To get back up and running, you'll need to find someone with a working Mac so that you can format your drive as HFS+ Journaled. Only then will your MBP "see" it as a drive that can have an OS loaded onto it.

3. n1dwort thread starter macrumors newbie

I formatted using FAT32. I know absolutely no one with a mac. I need to just get a mac mini as a backup.. I see that now...

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

5. n1dwort thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't now, it's in the shop. The guy there asked me did I keep it sleep and drive with it.. I was like no.. I keep it sleep whenever I sleep. When I'm up, it's up. I use it constantly for my work, that's why I need it fixed so expeditiously. I'm past deadlines aannd clients are getting annoyed with my tardiness of their projects.. Soo.. I'll just shell out an arm and a leg to get it fixed and buy another mac mini soon.. -1 for apple in my book...

6. jcrandall23 macrumors newbie

What is the CD you mentioned? Another possible reason for getting a kernel panic when trying to boot from DVD is that your Mac will only boot from an OS that is the same or newer than what it shipped with. For example, my mid-2010 MBP cannot boot or install Snow Leopard from the retail SL DVD (10.6). It will give a kernel panic on anything older than 10.6.4. Certainly, a 2011 model would not be able to boot from a Leopard install DVD.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I thought mid 2011 Macs couldn't run Snow Leopard.

Anyway sounds like a right mess. I'd just restore from the Lion boot partition or order a USB boot key from Apple and stay away from SL.

It could also be a hardware problem or a messed up EFI or PRAM.

8. n1dwort thread starter macrumors newbie

My 2011 MBP came with SL. Version 10.6.6

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom