[kernel panic] Please help!!!! Omg omg omg omfg!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Z400Racer37, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Z400Racer37, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012

Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

hi guys,

i just went to start up a macbook pro (it was unfortunately left out in the cold, repeatedly (dont ask) i.e. ~20 °F) and now i go to turn it on a few months later and its giving me the blinking folder with the ? on it!!! I put the recovery CD into the drive, and hold option, select Mac OS 10 install disc, and it gives me the attached screen. WHAT HAPPENED TO IT?!?!?! OMFG OF COURSE I HAVE AN EMERGENCY, AND I NEED IT WITHIN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS (if not hours???? PLEAAASE???)

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH THIS :eek: HELLPP!!!!!

thank you so much for the help

Attached Files:

2. MaulRx Suspended

Ruined an iBook that way. Left it stored in one of those rental shed type places. One bad winter later it was toast.

3. simsaladimbamba

No picture shows up.*

Is it a kernel panic?
    About "You need to restart your computer" (kernel panic) messages
    Resolving Kernel Panics
    Mac OS X: How to log a kernel panic
    [​IMG]

Have you tried any of these steps?

* How to attach an image to your MR post.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

4. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry about that picture thing, thanks so much for the responses. im gonna read them now.

5. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

6. simsaladimbamba, Aug 29, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

simsaladimbamba

Thanks, but is not that artsy, more fartsy to be honest. I just use a text expanding application called "TextExpander" and store all my snippets in there.
    The snippets in post #3 are some of the ones used most often though.

I have 295 snippets, as it seems. And:
    [​IMG]

7. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

agreed.

okay so none of those links are doing anything for the problem :/... were you able to get anything from those attachments sim?

----------

At the top it says something about "panic(cpu 0 caller 0x53d5e459): "unsupported CPU: family =0x6

Debugger called:<panic>

Kernel extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement (90.0.0)@0x53d6cfff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: U(known? its blocked by the restart pic...)

8. simsaladimbamba

Nope, I can't read kernel panics that well. I can only see, that something is wonky with the CPU power management, but I had similar kernel panics before for no apparent reason.
    Have you tried any of the boot steps I linked to? Have you access to any other Mac with a Firewire port? Have you any other install media?
    And which exact Mac do you have? And what about changing the thread title to get proper attention? "20xx (xx is a placeholder for the year your MacBook Pro was released) MBP cannot boot, kernel panic occurs when inserting Restore or Retail DVD" (which one is it?) might be a good alternative.

9. richorlin macrumors regular

Do you have an Apple Store nearby? Suggest that you make an appointment and bring it in. If you have Applecare on the MBP, then call Applecare support for assistance.
    It's very hard to diagnose the reasons for a kernel panic over the internet.

10. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

s

----------

i have no other media installed, and its a early 2011 MBP 13"
    sorry about the title, im really freaked out only because i need it soon... :/

----------

darn... how do i rename a post?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: I tweaked the thread title for you.

B

12. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

you guys are epic, thanks for the help so far. thats why i love this place!

anybody have any more ideas? im trying as many as i can as we speak, but to no avail... btw, its literally NEVER been used, just sat in the cold is the only thing i can think of...................................... AHHHHHHHH:(

13. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. whdigital macrumors regular

That kernal is referring to power levels to/from the CPU. It's possible the temp swings have the CPU and/or RAM "unseated" from the board. OR the board is just toast from the condensation. :(

If it's a 2011 model, when exactly did you buy it? Even without AppleCare, you have a 1 year warranty and even if just over that, they will sometimes cover issues. I wouldn't exactly highlight your storage strategies over the last year, but if it's moisture it will be detectable and that can void warranty.

Bottom line is you need to get it in to Apple as others have suggested. As for needing it by Friday or something? Sorry, but doubt that's gonna happen. :(

15. Z400Racer37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ATTENTION EVERYONE WHO POSTED:
    You are absolutely great, and I thank you greatly for your time on such short notice!

The problem has been solved. the answer, and im sorry if this is stupid of me, was that i was using my install disk from my 15" mpb instead of the one for the 13" that came with the darn computer. im not sure why that matters, but i found the one for this specific computer and it is re installing the OS fine now. hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here (any reasons why it might not be?)

again, thank you so much for the help!