Kernel Panic, Reformat HDD and Clean Install OSX

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ldominguez1986, Feb 26, 2012.

1. ldominguez1986 macrumors member

I just finished reformatting my HDD because I had a kernel panic that would not let me boot up in OSX. I have a bootcamp set up and was able to boot into Windows fine but could not in OSX. Is this something that I have to worry about happening again because of bootcamp? This Macbook Pro is only 9 days old and I already had a failure. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Thanks in advance for any helpful comments

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

It could be boot camp or it could be a logic board failure but that is quite unlikely,Reinstall lion wipe the windows partition after data is backed up the run the machine without windows for 9 days and report back if it gave a kernel panic if not windows is to blame.if it did then that could be a component failing,sorry if i was not of any help.

3. ldominguez1986 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the help. I called Applecare and they told me to erase my OSX partition and do a fresh install after trying to Repair the disk, installing OSX on same partition, resetting vram. Ultimately what fixed it was reformatting the partition and doing a clean install. I am curious if anyone else has had problems with bootcamp on their machines or anything similar to my situation.

4. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Well un(fortunately?) not maybe a corrupt install of lion or something?
    Also how good was the apple care service?

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Apple techs are now actively recommending a fresh install of Lion on a " Yearly" basis.

A buddy of mine, and also a member here has had a Lion installation on his MBP that I have been nagging him for months to wipe. It finally died, but we were fortunate enough o grab a TC backup before it did. It took advice here from GGJ, myself and finally an Apple tech before he would budge...Now he says it's like a new machine.

Back on topic...I've never known Apple Techs suggest this as a yearly thing?

6. ldominguez1986 thread starter macrumors member

It was pretty good. I mean, if you have ever dealt with any tech support it sounds like you are dealing with robots that just read off of que cards and no not deviate from them. This was not the case with Applecare. I felt like I was dealing with actual technicians. I am also happy that i was speaking with someone American. All in all though, very helpful.

7. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

thats nice to hear since we do not have apple stores here we can get abused by our retailers i.e crappy service and really ridiculous prices:( .

----------

that is odd why would you lose all your info on a yearly basis to keep your mac running at optimum speeds whatever they broke with lion after coming from 10.6.8 i hope they fix it in mountain lion.

8. ldominguez1986 thread starter macrumors member

I hear ya, but you have Flight of the Concordes and Chris Lilley!!!:p

9. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

:D But i gots to have the apple products first:D:D:D:D

10. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Personally, I just think the upgrade from SL to Lion was slightly borked, and a clean install fixed it.

I noticed my mini was a lot happier after a clean install of lion, than an upgrade from SL...

11. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Ive had a reinstall of lion and it is still slower then osx lion:( wether you admit it or not apple defiantly broke something in lion....

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's what I thought, It wasn't just a one off either..He spoke to a couple of Techs who were both saying the same thing...In this case it was a no brainer as Lion had to be re-installed, but find it strange that they are saying this..I might email my buddy @ Apple today and poke around..:)

13. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

for friend works at apple :eek: lucky person pshh:D

14. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

OOPS!...NDA...:eek: :)

15. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

thats what what i thinking lol:D

16. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If the rumors of the new OS cycle being yearly, we should have nothing to worry about as once a year, we just install a new OS.:D

17. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Lol yea:D