Kernel Panic that leaves no log

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TESEV, Mar 22, 2009.

1. TESEV macrumors member

TESEV

My machine is a UMBP 2.8GHz, 4gb RAM.

I'm getting these kernel panics when I'm surfing online. They always happen when I'm using the trackpad to scroll. The really weird bit though is that it does not leave a panic report on the Console or in /Library/Logs.

There was a report from last month in a "PanicReporter" folder but the log only lists the date "Tue Feb 17 23:22:59 2009".

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

3. TESEV thread starter macrumors member

TESEV

4. TESEV thread starter macrumors member

TESEV

Um, what would I look for in there? Are you talking about the console? I've looked there (looked there first) and I can't find anything. Is there a specific place there I should look? I've looked at all the stuff that says "Crash..." or "Panic..." and nothing.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

If it was a kernel panic, then there would have been a prompt screen telling you to restart your computer and then you would be able to send a report to Apple regarding the kernel panic. Did you have to press the power button to shutdown and restart? Normally, the incident would show up in your terminal window. Did your MBP freeze up? Is this your first kernel panic that didn't show up in the console? Do you recall what apps you had running? You might be better off giving AppleCare Support a call, then they can walk you through the process of determining what caused the kernel panic and then implement a fix. Usually involves installing the reinstall discs and repairing permissions and repair disk, and possibly a reinstall of the OS. On the phone it can take about two hours. Keep us advised, and good luck....