Kernel panic upon booting to hard drive or CD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewsims, Nov 2, 2010.

1. andrewsims macrumors newbie

I'm hoping these forums can help with a issue I'm having. Yesterday I purchased a INtel X25-V SATA SSD and installed it in my 13 inch MacBook Pro.

Upon booting to a CD so I could install OS X 10.6 on the new drive, I received a kernel panic. After numerous tries I then put the old hard drive in (now clear of any data) and tried to boot to a CD again. Same problem.

Now I seem to be stuck with a computer that will not boot to the CD no matter which hard drive is installed. I am able to use the SSD/HD in target disk mode. I can even install OS X to it from a different computer, but then when I try to boot on the MacBook Pro itself, I receive the kernel panic.

The kernel panic seems to occur regularly after the Mac tries to load the CD for a minute or two.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I've seen this happen on a friends MacBook Pro (pre-unibody) C2D machine. Exact symptoms, turns out to have fried its own motherboard. That's what it sounds like to me. Warranty? Additionally, the optical drive was gone in the MacBook. He didn't take the greatest care of it though. Let it heat up frequently in locations of poor air movement. That's most likely your issue...

3. andrewsims thread starter macrumors newbie

Dang.. guess that means I'll be taking it in. I do have AppleCare, it was just purchased a few months ago.

Might be worth mentioning this is a unibody MBP, if that makes a difference.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

5. andrewsims thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I get the logs if it won't boot? I don't even have an OS running on it.