Kernel Panic Upon Movement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hogman, Jan 4, 2009.

1. hogman macrumors member

hogman

I'm running a PowerBook G4 and I have recently run into some problems with kernel panic. I have bought and installed new ram, zapped the pram, and re-written the hard drive and I still have problems. The weird thing is, the computer only crashes when I move it. If I just sit still then it works fine, but if I move it from my lap to a table or something like that then I get the restart message. I have an appointment with the Geek bar tomorrow but they probably won't be any help. Any suggestions?

2. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a faulty logic board, i went thru 3 in my G4 PB.....

3. hogman thread starter macrumors member

hogman

I have gone through sever as well on other computers. But it has never acted like this before. I usually would get the "type boot-mac" message rather than have kernel panic.

4. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

When the 3rd logic board died the death in my 12 G4 PB, it ended with a sudden kernal panic....thank goodness i had Applecare and it was like a month before the end of the 3 years......they replaced my PB with new MB....

5. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I've heard of problems with certain hard drives and their motion-sensors acting negatively with apple's motion sensors, or something. they work to park the heads of the hard drive in case of a drop. the symptoms, i believe, are exactly the same as you describe. i am very vague on the details, but i'd try to research that a bit. possibly try a new HD. I believe the drives in question were mostly Western Digital. maybe go with a seagate, hitachi, or fujitsu drive.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

i looked around a little bit and found this article relating to the problem i described. it's the third item from the top of the page. i know i have read at least one other such article. i think it's worth a look.

7. hogman thread starter macrumors member

hogman

You know, I'm starting to think I don't even have an SMS, I checked them pmset in terminal and there is no ams or sms entry.

8. hogman thread starter macrumors member

hogman

9. Jpoon macrumors 6502

That's a pretty common thing to get loose I suppose hehe...

Thanks for the post on that, I have a friend that was having the exact same problem. If that happens next time, he won't be without a computer for a week sending it off to repair.