Kernel Panic using monitor's usb hub?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aegelward, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Aegelward macrumors 6502

I recently got a Dell 2209WA with built in USB hub. and great i thought, i can manage the USB ports on my macbook a bit more effectively.

But it seems when i pull the USB cable when i want to go portable, it gets a KP, at the moment i suspect it has something to do with the logitech wireless adaptor i have plugged into the monitor. it exhibits these issues when the monitor is turned off as well.

I have another USB hub, but i pretty much use it exclusively for my external hard drives (i don't really like to keep it plugged in all the time, if powered up for some reason the drives spin up in the middle of the night even when the macbook is sleeping) and it does nothing like this when the adaptor is plugged into that.

Any precedent for this, any solutions?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Could be a bad hub on the display, or bad wireless adapter.

It could be possible that even the monitor itself is powered, the hub might not technically be powered itself on the monitor, as when using a non-powered hub with too many devices or some power-hungry usb device it can cause Mac OS X to disable the port until the machine is rebooted or in some cases cause the machine to kernal panic.

I would try the same device without the hub, or otherwise use your other hub (that you're using with the HDD), and if it isn't powered, temporarily replace it with the monitors hub to see if you can get the same problem. Hopefully you can trace it down to a device rather than the monitors hub being the problem.

3. Aegelward thread starter macrumors 6502

Strangely enough, the problem stopped when i plugged my tablet into the port next to it, now i can disconnect it without a KP happening.