Kernel Panic when emptying trash of external HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alimac2012, Dec 9, 2012.

1. alimac2012 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Whenever I try to empty the trash for my external hard drive, I experience kernel panic. I have tried force empty for trash, and emptying trash through terminal, none of which work. I have tried to copy all the trash out into a new folder but i have a few alias files in there that i can't copy! can anyone help! i have 50gb worth of files that i want to delete! Are these what is causing the kernel panic?

Can anyone help?? Thanks

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You give very little information.

What Machine (iMac-MacBookPro-...)?
    Which OS version (10.6.X-10.7.X-10.8.X)?
    How is the external connected (Firewire-USB)?
    How is the external formatted (HFS+-NTFS-...)?

Have you tried to eject the external HD, or shutdown, then unplug and startup again, do you have kernel panics when you try to empty without external connected?

Have you tried to log into another User Account, if not create one, put some newly created file in trash (make a textfile and move to trash), is it giving you kernel panics in the newly created User Account?

Did you try to repair permissions?
    Have you tried to repair the external in Disk Utility?
    Did you Clear the PRAM and/or reset SMC?

3. alimac2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying, sorry for not giving much information.

I have a 2009 Macbook Pro, 10.5.8, the external hd was connected by usb to my mac. It is formatted windows NFTS. Never had any issues before with deleting documents and emptying the trash, had the hard drive for a year.

I have unplugged the hd and started again but when i try to empty the trash i still get the kernel panic. I can empty trash normally with external disconnected with no crash, which is why i believe it is something to do with the external hd.

I am a bit of a novice with computers so i have no idea what the PRAM or SMC is!

I hope that is a little more helpful.