Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
United States
I've noticed this happening for the past few weeks. Basically if I'm watching video on any flash website like YouTube, and I plug in headphones, I get a kernel panic.

So as normal I hold the power button to shut it off. However, when I turn it back on, it will beep 2 times, then 3 times, and continue to beep until I turn it off. When I power it on again, it won't beep but it sits on the blank screen before the Apple logo shows up and basically nothing happens and my fans start to go loud.

I did this about 3 times before it loaded to the Apple logo loading screen and finally booted properly.

After it crashed I removed the headphones, and nothing except the magsafe charger is plugged in.

EDIT:
Situation has gotten much worse. https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/7691810/

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
United States
Yeah, it's definitely really odd.

As far as I know, those beeps I get on startup are basically the system telling me to remove something that is plugged into the computer. I get the kernal panic as soon as I plug in the headphones while I'm playing the video.

Perhaps there is a problem with my headphone port? But it's not a big deal, and I really don't want to have to send my notebook in for repair.

tj53

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2004
New Hampshire
Do you happen to have any extra audio programs or anything installed? Software for an external USB soundcard or anything that would have changed the system.

Before jumping to the conclusion that it is hardware I'd first try to see if you can replicate the problem in a newly created user account. (I keep a "testing" account around for times when problems like this pop up). Then if you still get it there you could try booting from an external drive to see if it is just the software.

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
United States
Do you happen to have any extra audio programs or anything installed? Software for an external USB soundcard or anything that would have changed the system.

Before jumping to the conclusion that it is hardware I'd first try to see if you can replicate the problem in a newly created user account. (I keep a "testing" account around for times when problems like this pop up). Then if you still get it there you could try booting from an external drive to see if it is just the software.
Nope, I do not have any other audio programs installed. I'm going to use Firefox and see if the problem is just related to Safari 4 or not. Perhaps the fact that it is a beta is causing the problem?

I will try the new account idea aswell.

hmmm try resetting pram for the kernel panics, if it is the headphone port you're looking at a new logic board!

I hope that is not the case :(

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
United States
This problem has just gotten worse. I have my MagSafe charger connected to a power-surge protector, and when I plugged in my cellphone charger into the surge protector, my Macbook locked up and showed the Turn off logo with the writing that tells you to old the power button. While I'm looking at the screen, it was constantly flickering in a very odd manner. I unplugged the phone charger and rebooted. No luck, it stopped at the blank screen before the Apple loading logo shows up.

Tried again, this time I unplugged the magsafe charger, and it worked. This time the Apple logo showed up and I was able to boot normally, and I immediately began to organize my data so I could throw it onto my USB drive. And bam, it locked up again and I had the shut down screen. Once I tried rebooting it didn't work and I was unable to successfully boot it for atleast 5-6 attempts.

Right now so far its working and I'm backing up as much of my school data as I can. Is there any way I can backup my Mail and Safari passwords etc?

sn00pie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 25, 2008
United States
Fixed the problem!

Basically all I had to do was reseat the RAM, and its been perfect since. *knock on wood*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.