Kernel Panic when shutting down my new 27'' 2011 iMac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bryan839, May 22, 2011.

1. Bryan839 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I purchased my first ever iMac 3 weeks ago, and it was delivered just under 2 week ago. I was loving it!

The last two days I have been experiencing a kernel panic when I shut down the imac, the screen will go dark, from top to bottom, and a message in several languages appears telling me to turn off the imac by holding down the power button.

I am a little concerned, the UK applecare line is currently closed, so can't get advice from them. Do they usually repair imacs that are so new, as I don't really want to accept a repair. Do you think they will collect the item and refund it, as I may just go to my local apple store and purchase a high end i5 27'', then if anything goes wrong I can just take it there, and hopefully have a replacement for the same configuration (as its a stocked in item)

Thanks guys

2. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

3. Bryan839 thread starter macrumors newbie

Your right!! Google is my friend! I love it!!

However, I have already looked into the issue, the question I have, is will Apple UK refund the imac as its only two weeks old, or insist on a repair?

4. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Only Apple UK can really answer that. It's not that long until Monday! ;)

I had a bad experience here in Australia some years ago with a reasonably new iMac that went in for repair twice. One day, not too long after its second repair, there was smoke coming out of the damn thing! When I phoned Apple and demanded they just replace it, the guy told me they don't replace it until the forth time it goes in but by this time I wasn't putting up with that. I confess I threw a bit of a tanty until they gave in and agreed to replace the machine with a new one.

That was some years ago, and it sounds like Apple is getting better with their service, based on some of the stories I read. I certainly hope your experience is a painless one, and you have a problem-free iMac very soon.

5. cube macrumors G5

You can try running your Mac with one stick of RAM at a time. Beware of static discharges when handling the RAM.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

UK legislation states that if a product becomes faulty within 28 days of purchase, then you are entitled to either a refund or replacement. I'm sure you wont be offered anything other than a replacement, as Apple are generally very good that way, however, if you are, insist on a replacement or if you prefer, refund.