Kernel Panic when updading software - please help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Loyalty4Life, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Loyalty4Life macrumors regular

I have a newer 13" Macbook that needed many updates with installed applications. So I downloaded them and then the install screen was loaded and was installing the apps. Well the installer script didn't move for about 4-5 minutes, so I just shut down the computer manually. When I restarted, I got a Kernel panic that told me to restart the computer. But when I do, it just goes back to the same screen!

I put in Leopard OS disc in there hoping it would just reinstall the OS, but it still goes to the panic screen. And I don't think it's letting me eject the disc right now.

What am I supposed to do? I would greatly appreciate any help or advice you guys can offer--really! Thanks.

2. celticpride678

Can you access Disk Utility from the install DVD?

3. Loyalty4Life thread starter macrumors regular

How do I do that? Is there a command for that?

4. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Hmm, any chance you could take a photo (with an iPhone, a suitable mobile phone, or digital camera) and upload it here? May be easier and quicker to further diagnose the issue with information contained in the kernel panic messages that you see.

5. celticpride678

Hold down option at startup and then select "Mac OS X Install DVD". Then, in the menu bar at the top, click something (or similar) called Utilities. Then select Disk Utility.

The OP cannot access any crash logs.

6. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

To ensure you're booted off the DVD, hold down the 'c' key as you power on the Mac. Keep the key pressed down until it starts to boot off the DVD.

Then wait while it boots up. It will start up the installer application. But instead of going through the installer screens, go to the menu bar and select the option for Disk Utility. It's been a while since I did that so I don't recall precise details, but it's something along these lines.

7. Loyalty4Life thread starter macrumors regular