kernel panic

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harrymchugh, Jan 10, 2012.

1. harrymchugh macrumors newbie

Hi guys, tonight i tried to do my friend a favour as the migration assistant was not working and so tried to clone her MacBooks (running 10.4) harddrive onto the harddrive that came with her new macbook pro (10.7). When I replaced the cloned drive into the new macbook pro I get recurring kernel panics - the first line is Unsupported CPU: family = 0x6 ........ and so on.

Ive got a session booked with the genius bar in store tomorrow but wondered if theres a way i can fix this myself. I just want to get the macbook pro back to how it was as new now. Internet recovery doesn't seem to be working (it keeps thinking my wireless code is wrong even though i know i am inputting it right).

I even tried removing the macbook pros harddrive erasing it and installing 10.5 but this doesn't seem to have helped!!

any suggestions would be fantastic!

2. Steve.P.JobsFan, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Since it's saying Unsupported CPU, that clearly means that it isn't supported. Why the heck are you trying to run TIGER on a brand new LION machine? Tiger doesn't support ANY of the hardware in new MBP's! Tiger doesn't have any files for the new Intel i series. Internet Recovery won't work because all the files on the drive are from Tiger! Tiger probably doesn't have the support files for the WiFi card! You've pretty much screwed the entire machine. You'll have to have the Genius Bar wipe the drive, and install Lion somehow. For a couple of bucks, you can get an external enclosure for the drive. Put it in that, and connect it to the drive, and move the data over.

3. harrymchugh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help mate, I know I really wasn't thinking and I kind of guessed this was the problem. ideally she wanted all her data and files etc to run on the new machine. I went a bit in the deep end to be honest. The only other time i had really done it was to copy my lion hd onto a bigger hd which would obviously not have been a problem.

ye I've got a caddy which ill just use to manually move the data over next time!

Hopefully it wont be too big a job for the genius guys and i can get the machine back to my friend in one piece!

thanks again

4. Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Also, you can buy a thumb drive from Apple with Lion on it. That might be a fesable solution. It's $69 US dollars, or 55 British Pounds, or 59 Euros. You can buy it from Apple.com. If I sounded angry in my post, I'm sorry if I did. I'm not. I was just boggled over trying to run Tiger on it. Just have the Genius Bar load Lion on it, or use the thumb drive Apple sells, and move the data over manually.