Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Viira, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Viira macrumors newbie

So I've posted here a while back
    (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1043743)

I still have not fixed my imac because I'm worried I'll spend money to get a piece of hardware only to find out that its not whats causing the issue.

I took the imac to a local mac tech who ran some diagnostics on it, he wasn't 100% sure what the problem was but he thought is might be the video card (661-4180 7600GT 256 MB)

He was able to pull some files off the drive in TDM for me, so luckily I have my itunes music now.

I've been trying various reboot options again today
    - panics when I try to boot in safe mode "shift"
    - panics when I try to boot from cd "C"
    - runs hardware test "D", finds no errors, but does not detect my graphics card
    - here is the verbose mode output, don't know if this helps...

Attached Files:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's hard tone definitive, but that looks like your tech guy is right...You need a new Graphics card.

You don't say if you have pulled the memory out, but I'm guessing the tech did that?

3. identity macrumors 6502

I got the same thing too, or at least I think it's the same. My wife plugged in our printer at home and was printing off some things from the internet and then all of a sudden it's a grayed out screen and nothing is displayed. We had to hard-power it off by holding the power button in the back of the iMac for it to shut off completely. It's working fine now but I just bought the iMac this past Friday and it's already doing that less than a week in? What's the chances that it's a fluke? I've searched on google about kernel panic and it seems that it's pretty common which makes me want to return it.

4. Viira thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, he took out my RAM and tried his.

I've been reading that these cards, in the late 2006 models, have a history of over heating ;[

And it doesn't help that the 661-4180 card is on backorder practically everywhere, maybe I'll have to downgrade to 661-4179

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

KP''s are caused by menu different things. A loose or faulty RAM stick, a bad Logic Board HDD, the list is endless If your Mac is new, get it back to Apple.

6. identity macrumors 6502

I got it at Best Buy but I see no reason why it should crash especially since I just bought it and haven't downloaded much at all. Just a couple free games from the app store and utilities.

7. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

8. Viira thread starter macrumors newbie

Yay, my imac got fixed today! I had to downgrade the video card, but thats ok.

I downloaded a fan control app to keep the fans faster. What else should I do to prevent the video card from overheating again?