Kernel Panic

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by itsalive78, Jun 17, 2012.

1. itsalive78 macrumors newbie

Can anybody help me resolve a kernel panic on a G4 mac mini?

i have attached an image of what i see when it loads up

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You appear to be starting up from a version of Mac OS X that is too old for your Mac Mini. What are you starting up from and what model is your Mac Mini?

3. itsalive78 thread starter macrumors newbie

its a 2005 mac mini G4 1.25

Im trying discs of Tiger and Leopard and its not having any of it.

I start the unit up holding down the alt key on the apple keyboard, it goes through to the screen where you can chose to boot from the hard drive but it doesn't seem to show the optical drive with the disc in, Im sure on my other macs this is what should happen.

Nathan

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

5. itsalive78 thread starter macrumors newbie

the leopard disc is retail and the Tiger disc is a back up of an original

both of the discs work as they should on my G5 power mac

6. Zotaccian, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Reset PRAM and SMU, Google instructions from Apple's website. There is also this basic trick of applying three commands in Open Firmware but atleast one of them just resets PRAM. Google can find those too.

If you have all original disks, run Apple hardware test from the disk which has it. It is not able to always detect problems (test might work fine but real OS might cause problems) but it atleast contains memory test which should reveal possible memory problem.

Clean the optical drive or use external. iFixit.com has take apart instructions.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Device/Mac_mini_(PowerPC)

Get USB stick of atleast 8GB of size, create image file from Leopard disc (you need a Mac to do that but luckily you have PowerMac which can read that disc) and restore it to that USB by using disk utility. Boot from the USB stick by applying couple commands in Open Firmware. Before someone says "you can only boot from firewre drives." I say you are wrong. Google instructions. Of course if you have external FireWire -drive it is easier (just because Apple designed it to be easier on their machines, Open Firmware itself doesn't care if it's USB or FW), just connect the drive and press ALT at start up.

There is also this optical drive sharing thing but I don't know if it works on PowerPC macs, never tried.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The retail Leopard disc will boot any PowerPC G4/G5 machine except for the first PowerMac G4 model.