Kernel panic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by m i k e, Dec 14, 2007.

1. m i k e macrumors member

I got a random kernel panic ("You need to restart your computer" screen). I was using a wireless connection to upload files to my website via Transmit (FTP client). Firefox was also open. Does anyone know why this happened? Is it something to worry about? I'm running Leopard 10.5.1 on a MacBook Pro SR btw. Thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If it happens more then once from more or less the same cause then I might be concerned.

3. m i k e thread starter macrumors member

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Without the panic log I can't really make any sort of guesses.

5. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Weird how I hear all the time about Kernel Panics on Macrumors, but I've never had one, not once. I've had applications quit a few times, but no kernel panics.

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Weird how people have a single kernel panic and think it's the end of the world.

7. MacFan78 macrumors newbie

Sounds similar to the frequent kernel panic issues when using Azureus over an airport connection. The sooner they fix these dodgy airport drivers in Leopard the better.. :mad:

I read a thread somewhere that disabling IPv6 in the Airport TCP/IP tab can help with some stability issues so that could be worth a try. From a bittorrent point of view changing to a different client helped cut down the kernel panics significantly so you could always try a different FTP client to see if that makes any difference?

Hoping for a proper fix from Apple in 10.5.2...

8. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

weird, my old mac used to kernel panic on a daily basis. But thats taing into consideration that I used it even though it was 7 years old and was HORRIBLY under-powered for what i expected out of it.

I ran OS 10.3.9, and used MOST modern applications on a iMac G3 with 400Mhz and 192Mb of RAM. yah it was slow but i dealt with it, I even put up with the fact that whenever it kernel paniced I just shrugged and restarted the computer.

I got a new macbook now, and it's NEAR-perfect... aint seen a kernel panic since then.

I can see why people think a kernel panic is the end of the world, they are pretty scary when your using a computer that is SUPPOSED to be new, and fast.

9. m i k e thread starter macrumors member

The kernel panic was far from the end of the world. I was however, concerned because I use my mac for things that I put a lot of time and work into. If it were ever to happen again, even just once, it could be a real catastrophe for me and the people that depend on the work that I output. Fortunately it hasn't happened since my first post.