kernel panic?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carryonplease, Jul 8, 2008.

1. carryonplease macrumors member

So today i was just chillin, talking on adium, and my screen goes gray tinted and i am told i have to restart my computer. I have just updated to the latest version of leopard. Here are some things that have happened in the past few days that could have caused this.

Finder has been crashing, and everything that is open, whenever adobe flash player 9 loads.

I downloaded a large (2GB) disc image of a game, and i got the message "opening this may damage your system" which i've gotten in the past but it doesn't really damage it.

I am pretty sure it is not a hardware problem, since i just got a new logic board and had everything checked out about 6 months ago.

Is there anything quick and easy i can try to fix this problem or is it gonna take some time and a professional?

also, i run leopard on a powerbook G4 i ghz titanium, which is cutting it close but i haven't had problems yet.

help?

2. Pixellated macrumors 65816

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd suggest running some diagnostics on your system, to make sure a hardware problem or file system corruption aren't possible causes, before attempting a reinstall.

Two things you can do:
    • Boot from the Mac OS X install disc you used to install the version of Mac OS X you're running, and instead of installing, open Disk Utility. Select your primary disk, and click Verify Disk. If it finds errors, click Repair Disk.
    • Run the Apple Hardware Test disc that came with your Mac - on some Macs this is a partition on the Mac OS X install disc that came with your Mac. This helps identify memory errors and other such things.