Kernel Panics All the Time

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lyingfromyou, Nov 9, 2009.

1. lyingfromyou macrumors newbie

My MacBook really likes to kernel panic on me. It first started happening in either july or august. I was watching a movie through my mini-DVI port and I had a kernel panic. I didn't really think it was THAT big of a deal it had happened once or twice before, but when I restarted, I got a grey-ish screen with a folder that had a question mark on it. I wasn't sure what it meant and I don't think I ever got a conclusive answer, but I sucked it up and re-formatted to get it working. The first time I tried, it quit half way through and cited a disk failure. I tried again, and it worked that time, but it has never been the same.

I get a lot more beach ball of death, and I get a kernel panic at least every couple of days, if not more. I'll get them for just basic use kind of things, like closing the lid to put it to sleep, unplugging USB drives and devices after properly ejecting, launching and closing programs, sometimes even just as it finishes booting. It's incredibly irritating, but I've been able to live with it but I think it's about time I tried to fix or get it fixed. It's only a year and a few months old. I don't think this is normal.

Potential Diagnosis? The obvious answer seems disk failure, but I haven't had any real problems with it..

Aside from that, I have the 3 year warranty through best buy, so does anyone know how long they take to process/fix whatever they do? They told me that they don't fix it themselves, but ship it off to an Apple retailer or something like that, which is kind of a relief because they've messed up my moms PC more than they've fixed it.

Also, since I have a feeling it will get asked:

I'm still using 10.5.8. I have Snow Leopard but I use Pro Tools daily and it wasn't originally compatible. I should check in to that..

Model Name: White MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Kernel panics are often hardware problems, and can be anything. Logic board is always a good guess, though. Just wait to see what the repair folks come up with. I'd trust them over a bunch of anonymous strangers who have never even seen your computer.

3. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

It's definitely NOT normal.

If you have SteerMouse, disable it.

Good luck, sorry to hear you're having nonstop KP's. Few things are more cringeworthy. At least you're still under warranty, so get it taken care of!