Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaffawoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
About two months ago I finally updated from OSX 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard (going through several updates to now reach 10.6.8). I make music, and as such use an external USB audio interface. Straight after rebooting, I installed the drivers for this interface without any trouble. However, when I try to install some music software (Propellerhead Record) - which uses a USB "ignition key" (their fancy name for a dongle) - I am told that Codemeter (which runs the drivers for the USB key) can't install its "CmUSBMassStorage.kext". At first, I thought this might be a compatibility issue with the software and Snow Leopard. However, I have since experienced several kernel panics on my MacBook Pro when I open the lid from sleep having unplugged my USB sound card (though the panics don't happen EVERY time I do this).

I have manually installed both Record and Codemeter seperately as well as together, and have tried the version of Codemeter supplied on the manufacturer's DVD and the up-to-date version downloaded from the internet. I assume there's a link between the kernel panics and the sound card's driver, and with my inability to install a kernel extension.

I have also found that Record's folder under /Applications is only accessible via an administrator account, as I'm told under my standard account that I "do not have permissions" to access it.

Should another reboot fix this problem, or is there something more to it?

Thanks,
jaffawoman

jaffawoman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2011
I'll give that a try. Is it likely that that would prevent me installing the new .kext, too?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.