Kernel Panics and lock ups...help?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by hellodon, Aug 16, 2011.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

Since installing Lion on my MacBook Pro, I have had lockups regularly, where the screen just freezes. Sometimes the cursor still moves, other times it doesnt. Havent been able to figure out any definite similarities as to what I am doing when it happens, but most of the time I'm just using Safari and a page is loading up, the beachball pops up and its usually all downhill from there....if I see it spinning for more than a few seconds, a lockup usually follows. The only "fix" is to restart. I have also had 2 Kernel panics. The first mentioned CPU 2, the second mentioned CPU 1. I have the error messages saved at home.

I went through and used Disk Utility to verify and repair permissions. Then I had it verify the disk and it told me that it was corrupt and needed to be repaired so I restarted, held command+r and got to the Lion launch screen where I again ran Disk Utility and repaired my disk. It successfully repaired it, fairly quickly. Ran verify disk and verify permissions again before logging back into Lion with no issues. Within a few hours I had the second Kernel Panic that I mentioned above, where the screen just glazes over and the box pops up that says the computer needs to be restarted.

Can anyone offer any insight on what the hell is going on or what I can do to help resolve the issue(s)? This is just awful. I never had a single freeze/lock up or problem with this MBP prior to installing Lion, and since it has just been constant issues - I feel like I'm using Windows! I hoped that the disk repair would solve my problems, but I don't know if it did. I havent had any of the standard freezes since last night so MAYBE those will stop since repairing the disk - but the kernel panic definitely isnt good news. I had an external hard drive connected at the time and I think only had Safari open. I was in the middle of typing an e-mail in the online gmail client when it happened.

This SEEMS to be all Lion related issues...as I said, I had no issues at all prior to installing Lion so its hard to believe that it could all of a sudden be hardware issues. I don't know if I should setup an appointment at the Apple Store for issues with the computer or if this is definitely a Lion issue that I'll just have to be patient with until some updates come out...I'll tell you what though, this is making me wish I had just stuck with Snow Leopard. Wondering how difficult it would be to downgrade back to Snow Leopard (?)

Thoughts?

2. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

This has happened to me four times with Lion so far, twice on my iMac and twice on my MPB. What happens is finder quits and won't start again, then everything slowly freezes. I can open new tabs with the mouse but can't type anything. The only way to fix it is to do a hard reset. I'm thinking it has to do with a memory leak. Whatever it is it's an issue I've never had before in my prior 4 year history with Macs.

3. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

The 2.66 i7 mbp is a 2010 mbp right? With the nvidia 330m. The video drivers for the mid 2010 mbp are known to be corrupt causing freezes and kernel panics and situations where you have to forcibly shut down the mbp.

I'm hoping 10.7.1 will have working video drivers again.

Workarounds are using gfxcarsstatus and running on intel only (i am, performance sucks but 0 freezes since) or installing the mac nvidia cuda drivers (didn't try that one) or if you use an external monitor throw away some files under the ~/library folder (don't have a monitor so didnt't apply to me)

4. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep that's exactly what I've got....that sucks, I had no idea. I just realized there is a Lion update so I'm hoping this helps. About to update. Fingers crossed!

5. Kyle4 macrumors 6502

That's exactly what I've got as well, a mid 2010 Macbook Pro. My iMac is late 2009 though.

6. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

Well 10.7.1 is out with no change to the video drivers. So i am still stuck on intel igp only. Don't know what card the imac 2009 has but it seems all macs with semi recent nvidia gpu's are screwed.

Gfxcardstatus helps but my mbp boot on the nvidia for god knows what reason, so occasionally my mbp still kernel panics before i can log in and have it change to intel-only (bummer that lion stutters on intel only).

Didn't dare try the nvidia cuda driver yet, it is said to help....

7. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

What's the deal with this "cuda" driver? Anyone using it that can report?

I've saved all of my kernel panic logs...seems to happen every couple days.

Good news is, the lockups that were happening randomly seem to have stopped. I think that was related to video and safari which the Lion update fixed...but the kernel panics didn't go away. I hadn't seen one since the 15th so I had my fingers crossed...sadly, tonight it happened.

Here are the top portions of the messages from the 3 panics. Not sure if anyone can offer any insight, they all seem pretty different...:confused:

Thu Aug 11 00:54:48 2011
    Panic(CPU 2): Unresponsive processor (this CPU did not acknowledge interrupts)

Mon Aug 15 22:49:57 2011
    Panic(CPU 1 caller 0xffffff7f809522bf): NVRM[0/1:0:0]: Read Error 0x00070000:

Fri Aug 19 21:08:08 2011
    Panic(CPU 3): NMIPI for spinlock acquisition timeout, spinlock: 0xffffff80008ba500, spinlock owner:

8. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Did you have the black screen of death or kernel panics when running Snow Leopard, or just Lion?

Take a look at this thread from the Apple discussion board.

It really is a wide spread issue, and it might be faulty Logic Boards or NVIDIA GPU's. This is very worrying, as everyone with a 2010 15" MBP may need them replaced at some point.

Is performance with the Integrated Intel card really that bad? Could someone post a video of the Mission Control animation? I'm very interested, as using only the Intel chip may alleviate all these freezes until Apple gets to the bottom of it, at which point we can use the discrete chip again.

9. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesn't go black...it just kinda locks up...then the screen glazes over and the kernel panic message pops up in the middle of the screen, but you can still see everything I had open behind it.

[​IMG]

I never had a single freeze up or kernel panic with Snow Leopard. The thing ran flawlessly. Rarely even saw the beach ball spinning. Since putting Lion on it has seriously just gone down hill. The latest update helped a little bit but obviously didn't fix these kernel panics.

I don't know if this is just a coincidence that things started happening around the time I put Lion on...maybe I am part of the faulty logic board and/or Nvidia card. Maybe I should take it in to Apple. I'm just hoping that I can get a better idea of what is going on before I bring it to them and have them make excuses. This is really worrying, I wonder if I should ask that they replace my logic board? I'll read that link...thanks

I haven't heard of this? What are people saying? I just clicked Mission Control and all of the windows do their thing and the animation seems very smooth. Am I missing something? Fill me in please!

----------

So here is the CUDA link

http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit-40

I'm not really sure I understand what to download and what to do with what I download.....

10. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Try forcing the Integrated chip using gfxCardStatus and then activate Mission Control, let us know if the animation is smooth.

Also, this just posted on the Apple discussion board:

Just a update. the enginnering department had an emal sent to me and the genius. Here's what it said:

Thank you for your escalation. The panics showing appear to reference the GPU and driver. At this time I would recommend avoiding use of the discrete GPU to workaround this issue. The user may also consider using OS X 10.6.8 at this time, perhaps on another partition temporarily.

Please let the user know that Apple has received reports of this behavior and we are investigating those reports.

Do not repair or replace hardware for this behavior. Keep an eye on the Kbase for more information as it becomes available.

11. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome..thanks dude! I am grabbing gfxCardStatus now and I'll let you know.

As for that email, I guess that's good news. I mean, I wasn't having issues in Snow Leopard (or EVER for that matter) so I think its fairly obvious that the problems is Lion and not hardware related...at least for me. I definitely wasn't looking forward to having bad hardware and needing to go through having it replaced. Though, I think my year warranty is running out and I think due to the circumstances, I'll be grabbing AppleCare for a bit...

Will report back shorty. Thanks again for all of the info and help so far! I appreciate it!

12. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

No problem, looking forward to hearing back from you regarding the animations with the Integrated chip.

And yeah, one would think that because the Kernel panics started happening only with Lion, it is a software issue, but after sifting through the Apple boards, I'm not so sure.

I'm hoping its a driver issue though, as my AppleCare has expired.