kernel panics and restarts, help please

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrBAC, Jun 29, 2012.

1. mrBAC macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I have a Mac Pro 3,1 early 2008, 2 x 2.8 Quad-Core Xeon, 10gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 graphics, 4 hard drives. I was running 10.7.4 lion when the problems started, but i have since done a clean install of snow leopard, currently 10.6.8.

For the past few weeks or so I have been experiencing frequent kernel panics (1-2 a day) and sudden restarts. the panics are the normal grey screen with the you must restart message, however occasionally it will just restart without warning.

So far I have done the following:
    reset smc, reset pram, apple hardware test multiple times and let it run in loop mode overnight a couple times (no problems found), ran memtest a number of times (no problems found), TechTools tests (no problems), repaired disk, repaired permissions, reinstalled lion, zeroed hard drive & clean install of lion, clean install of snow leopard, put the system on a UPS battery backup, I currently only have a apple keyboard and mouse connected, ethernet, and monitor. I have also tried removing ram, reseating the ram, removing all dust and cleaning inside the case, replaced or removed hard drives, checked diagnostic leds...

I am at my whits end. here are the most recent logs:

Thanks

2. dazman09 macrumors newbie

I've got a similar Mac Pro, with 6gigs ram and Geforce 8800.. If the crashes are happening after a reinstall my guess is hardware.

Could be over heating, so I'd suggest blowing out the dust.. make sure the heatsinks are clear, use a flashlight to verify.

Could also be bad ram. I bought two sticks last year to bump to 10gigs, but they'd kernel panic and lock my system regularly. Had to send them back.

Try pulling some extra ram and see if that stabilizes it. Get iStat and check your temperatures, make sure the ram isnt getting too hot. Get smcFanControl and speed up your fans.