kernel panics are bothering me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aikz, Jul 14, 2008.

1. aikz macrumors newbie

aikz

i had this macbook pro for about 3 months already. last month i had kernel panics twice and my computer just shut down. i went to apple service center and they told me that they had to replace my hard drive. i thought everything would be fine afterwards. a week after the repair kernel panics came back. its just that now i can still open it after the restart. i also noticed that every time my computer gets warm kernel panic happens. what should i do? and they told me not to update my software because of bugs. pls help me. its making me sad.:(

2. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

Ive found that during my short time using Mac's when Kernal panics start to happen frequently and randomly - Its "Usually" a bad ram module. My sisters powermac G4 was exhibiting random kernel panics, not booting up properly, hanging at shutdown randomly... after swapping out ram.. it was right as rain.

I wonder why they decided it was due to a bad hard drive.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I've had my PowerBook for 4.5 years and it's had 2 kernel panics. One due to beta webcam software and the other due to bad RAM.

I say go back and get your MBP serviced again. This is definitely not normal.

My experience has only been with repairs thru an Apple Store with my AppleCare. I'm assuming the Apple Service Center takes AppleCare. (Get it if you don't have it since it is very helpful especially with portable Macs) With AppleCare they should repair your MBP or replace it.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Bring it back to apple again. This looks like a thermal problem and it could be a bad sensor. This would be your second repair. If you still have problems after that, Apple has one more chance to repair. After the 3rd repair, they will replace the computer.

5. aikz thread starter macrumors newbie

aikz

ok i'll just send it back

ok will send it back to apple center. before i forgot they also changed my logic board.

6. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

they have practically replaced it already once if they really swapped out his HD and Logic Board.. makes me wonder though if they used the same memory, and its gone bad if thats where the Kernel Panics are stemming from.

First thing I always did with things like that back in the PC world was put the memory through a stress test.

7. bart rijksen macrumors regular

I've had no kernel panics yet, also have mine 3 months. My ram seems to be doing well, from apple. You might try switching the ram, or having only one stick in. If that doesn't fix it it is probably the logic board, having problems. Apple will fix that.

8. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I've also been having some frequent kernal panic errors. I run a G5 quad with Leopard (fully updated) and have 5 GB of RAM over the eight slots in pairs. My question is, how do I test the RAM to determine which sticks are dying? Thanks in advance for the help.