Kernel panics exactly 1 year after a repair

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by producerlawson, Apr 25, 2017.

1. producerlawson macrumors regular

So lately my macbook has been getting slower and slower, especially in Safari.. changing tabs can take upwards of 4-8 seconds.

Then today it's started freaking out with the fans going crazy, shortly after I tend to get a kernel panic - the first time it happened today was when I tried deleting an email from the floating notification, the second time (the log below) was when I was switching tabs on Safari. In the last week I have also found that opening a new tab and typing something into the url to search fails, when I hit enter it closes the tab and picks another at random.

Now here's the history, back last year I woke up in the middle of the night to find I had tipped a glass of water which leaked into the side air vents on the base of the frame. In the end I had to payout for a new for a new topcase (the batteries were fried) and logic board. To this date I still believe it was just the batteries that got fried but Apple being Apple wanted to repair everything that had a triggered liquid indicator.

A log is below of my most recent crash - can anyone sift through it to identify the main cause (i.e hardware or software?)

2. treekram, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017

treekram macrumors 65816

Hard to say what the issue is - your panic report indicates it could be a GPU problem, a Safari issue or 3rd party software problems. I think it's more likely you have a software issue than a hardware issue.

I would suggest trying safe mode - that will not load your kernel extensions com.paceap.kext.pacesupport.snowleopard, com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower and com.waves.driver.soundgrid. If you still have problems, try another browser in safe mode - there may be issues with Safari.

For more information on safe mode, see:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

If you use plugins or other software that's fairly recent, it may be that you have a compatibility issue with Yosemite (what the report says you're using) and or the Safari version that comes with Yosemite. If that's the case, you should probably use a different browser. For the most part, Apple doesn't update Safari once they stop work on an OS version.

You should also think about the timeline of the software you've put on the computer relative to when you've been having problems. If you have not installed/updated/activated any software or plugins since your problems began, then that would point more to a hardware issue. There could also be specific websites that may be causing issues with your Safari version (again, maybe try a different browser).

3. jerryk macrumors 68040

GPU issue? Take it in and have them run diagnostics on it.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

5. producerlawson thread starter macrumors regular

If I have been watching long videos on youtube I tend to find scrubbing to another part of the video results in a green pixelated mess too.. even weirder if I switch tabs in Safari to another video it shows an almost hologram from the previous video for a few seconds.

I'll try running diagnostics now.

Thanks guys.

6. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

7. producerlawson thread starter macrumors regular

Diagnostics came back fine.. the thing is it's so random as to what triggers it. Is it worth me trying for a week or two to get a genius bar appointment or does this sound more like an OS bug?

8. treekram macrumors 65816

I have a kernel panic report with the same "Kernel Extensions in backtrace" listing (a couple of the driver versions are different) and the same origin (WebKit) from when I was running Yosemite 10.10.4 (OP is running 10.10.5) on my 2012 Mini and in my case it was certainly not a GPU or other hardware issue as once I upgraded to El Capitan, the kernel panics I was experiencing went away. So I would not automatically assume it's a GPU issue, more so since this MBP model was not one affected by the different repair extension programs.

If you're only experiencing issues in Safari, that's the place I would look first (as well as following my other suggestions in my previous post). The "green pixelated mess" and hologram effect are unusual and if that shows up in another browser which is up-to-date (Firefox or Chrome), that would be more indicative of a hardware issue although for me on my Mini, I found all of the Yosemite updates after 10.10.2 caused problems.