Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
okay so i got my logitech VX Revolution yesterday. was playing around with it, everything okay. i unplugged it from the USB Port on my macbook. and i got a Kernel Panic.

then today i step away from the computer for a bit, come back and move the mouse to get the screen back up and my macbook has another Kernel Panic.

so i'm guessing its the Logitech Control Center software acting buggy?
any one else have this problem or anything else i should try to get this working properly.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, there's a few CrashReporter logs which may come in handy. It's probably a bit of a moot point if this is your only recent change though, since it sounds like it's almost definitely the cause of the problem. Checked the Logitech site for driver/firmware updates?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Do you even need the Logitech Control Center software installed to use the mouse? I have a Logitech mouse and I never installed any software...

something for the back/forward buttons and search button on it too is needed at least. and the LCC allows for the free scrolling feature too

Well, there's a few CrashReporter logs which may come in handy. It's probably a bit of a moot point if this is your only recent change though, since it sounds like it's almost definitely the cause of the problem. Checked the Logitech site for driver/firmware updates?

i reinstalled the LCC so we'll see if that helps at all. and its most definitely the mouse it appears. i'll have to look into USB overdrive if it continues.

Jan 30, 2006
I had the same problems with my Logitech mouse. I ended buying a Mighty Mouse.

But I remember that I saw another App that helped you configuring the extra mouse buttons. It seems that the LCC is very buggy for the new Intel Macs.

I'll try find it, if successful I'll send you the link.

Blubbert

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
Im positive your problem stems from LCC. I have a logitech mouse too, and when i had installed LCC i got two kernel panics, since i got rid of it, ive been problem free. LCC is simply broken.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
alright well i'll give USB Overdrive a try then since it seems its probably the LCC software. thanks guys.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
If USB Overdrive doesn't work for you either, try Steermouse. It recognized and programmed my Logitech Mediaplay Mouse, whereas USB Overdrive didn't even see it.

sepandee

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
was there a solution to this problem? because my newly-purchased vx revolution does the same and it's making me angry. I installed the latest driver for os x as well, but still it happens.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
was there a solution to this problem? because my newly-purchased vx revolution does the same and it's making me angry. I installed the latest driver for os x as well, but still it happens.

i reinstalled the LLC and all has been well since.

sepandee

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Well I uninstalled LCC and installed SteerMouse instead, hopefully that will fix the issue. But I must add, scrolling is normal now (i.e. fast). The slow scrolling before aws useless.

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
Yes, IT IS caused by Logitech driver.

The latest Logitech driver (the one that comes with Revolution mice) in addition to the driver itself installs the dreaded APE framework and a special haxie that takes care of the latest and greatest scroll wheel.

If you don't know what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_Enhancer

I had plenty of kernel panics after I have installed the latest driver...

I was absolutely appaled by Logitech's decision to bundle APE with their driver with no notification.

Even if you have uninstalled the driver, APE might have been left behind. Check if aped daemon is rinning. If it is, head for Unsanity's web site, and get an uninstaller. In my case, aped was left behind even after I have removed LCC. I got rid of APE, and all panics have magically stopped.

Digidesign

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for this thread. I have the VX mouse and my Mac Pro has been giving me kernel panics at random times, but it usually happens during a mouse movement. I've been trying to find a solution for a long time.

I took the steps to uninstall the LCC app, which did NOT remove aped (application enhancer) from running at startup. I had to download the latest application enhancer app from unsanity and run the uninstall to remove it.

So far so good - no more kernel panics.

too bad logitech doesn't have better support for OSX other than their bloated and buggy LCC program.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Hi, so is there any news on fixing the kernel panic issue?
I have tested older versions (from 2.0 up to 2.1.4 LCC) and they all were buggy or they didn't recognize my VX Revolution on my Macbook (10.4.10). Right now I am using the newest steermouse version released yesterday (3.7) and this seems to be fixing the kernel panics. But I kind of would rather have a good workaround than spending more money (I mean the mouse was pretty expensive already-_-)

Any suggestions are welcome.

byakuya

For anyone interested in a thorough review about the VX with some pictures---look down;-)

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
I have a VX Revolution on my MacBook. The most recent LCC 2.2.2 resolved any issues I had and even added a few new things. If you don't have it, find the Logitech support site and download it. It's a worthy update.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I have a VX Revolution on my MacBook. The most recent LCC 2.2.2 resolved any issues I had and even added a few new things. If you don't have it, find the Logitech support site and download it. It's a worthy update.

Thanks for the quick reply. Are you sure that the version 2.2.2 doesn't cause Kernel Panics? Because I do have 2 Macbooks and tried that version on both of them (1 was a clean install of OS X) and whenever I tried to put the MB to sleep and wake it up again it often just froze and Kernel Panicced.

byakuya

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Yep, Logitech is at fault here and they are totally denying the issue. If you call support they blame the OS or the hardware and refuse to believe its a wide spread problem. I have been told 4 times it was the first they had heard about it.

After being run around in circles with them, I am in search of a new gaming mouse for my laptop ... and I refuse to purchase further Logitech gear.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
okay, so I played around with different mouse drivers available for the Mac. Steermouse, usb overdrive, LCC (Version 2.0 - 2.2.2) and I think I got the answer. The kernel panics also occured when I was using Steermouse (even though not that frequently like when using LCC 2.2.2) so I reinstalled the LCC 2.2.2 and tried to find out what caused the kernel panics. In my case the kernel panics only occured when I disconnected the receiver or when my MB went to sleep and I tried to wake it up. So I started waking up my MB using my keyboard and----no kernel panics anymore. The interesting thing is that right after waking up my MB from sleep the little notification window opens telling me my VX got disconnected only to pop up again a second later to tell me it was reconnected. So if anyone else has been experiencing random kernel panics this just might be the workaround. I'll post as soon as I get another one but up until now I haven't gotten another kernel panic since I started using my described method to wake up my MB.

Hope this works for other VX owners as well.

byakuya

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.