Kernel Panics galore - Please help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by c073186, Jun 13, 2009.

1. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Okay, I'm having a serious issue. Any time I boot my computer in OS X (Leopard, 10.5.7), I get a kernel panic - I do not even get past the gray screen with the Apple logo. Similarly, if I try to boot from my Leopard DVD - I STILL get the kernel panic. I cannot even reformat my computer. But before you say I must have bad memory, etc., I have Vista installed using Boot Camp - which works just fine. Only OS X has issues. But since I cannot even boot from the DVD... I'm really desparate here... I have no idea what to do. How can I get my computer running again? If it's of any relevance, I have:

- Early 2008 Mac Pro
    - The drive using OS X is separate from the Vista (two HD's); however, should this really matter considering the fact I cannot boot from the DVD?

Okay well I'm open to any advice, I need to get my computer working as soon as humanely possible (obviously) so I'd grandly appreciate suggestions.

Thanks.

Anyone?

2. Flore macrumors regular

Here are two ideas:

1. Try to unplug all your peripherals you might have connected to the Mac.

2. Reset PRAM

3. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

In addition to the poster above I'd like to add: Reset SMC.

Here's how http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1806

I'm terrible sorry if nothing works. But hey. At least you have Vista ;)

Now that I think of it, I think you have to proceed with some caution with the SMC thing. Read up on what it does and maybe take a dive into trying it after that.

If I were you I'd try, like Flore said, to unplug your peripherals and reset PRAM.

4. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, neither of those made a difference :/

When you say unplug all peripherals, two things,
    1. I have attached no new devices... should this matter?
    2. When you say unplug them all, do you mean to start my computer with everything (i.e. keyboard, mouse, monitor, everything?) unplugged?

Well I'm really stumped by this. I just don't see how/why it will not even boot from the Leopard DVD when clearly the main components are working just fine (as evidenced by Vista working). Makes no sense.

Are there any other boot-up options / keys to hold down at startup that could benefit here?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It might still be the RAM, Vista booting fine doesn't prove anything, because it may not be addressing the bad portion.

6. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

7. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

How can I test my RAM if I cannot even get my computer past the gray Apple logo screen?

8. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

that was a brain fart. If you can't boot into Single User Mode then of course you can't test your RAM. :eek:

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you have more than one stick, try booting from one stick at a time. If one doesn't boot and the others do, that's your problem.

10. c073186 thread starter macrumors 6502a

In case anyone is interested... here is the craziness that happened:

a. Somehow, my OS X files became corrupted. Not sure how/why, but oh well. These things happen, I understand. Should be an easy fix - Archive & Install - right?

b. In October 2007, I purchased Leopard right when it came out to install on my PowerBook. In January 2008, I bought a Mac Pro - which is the computer that I was having these issues with.

c. When I tried doing the Archive & Install, I was using the retail Leopard DVD. Since my computer originally came with a later version, the retail Leopard (10.5.0) didn't have the proper drivers, etc., to support the Early '08 Mac Pro, causing kernel panics.

d. I finally realized how stupid I was, used the original install DVD, and everything worked beautifully. I felt remarkably foolish.

Case closed. Thanks for all of your advice though!