Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zucka

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2006
Bellingham, WA
I received my macbook in early september, and within a week it started to freeze the screen intermittently, forcing me to restart my computer. This became more and more frequent as the week continued. BUT THEN it started giving me kernel panics often. Both issues built up until I was having to shut down my computer 7+ times in a day. These were all random occurrences with no links to running certain programs, etc. So, not wanting to send it off to AppleCare right off the bat, I wiped the HD and reinstalled it from the disk. This worked for a few days...Then the problem started up again, in the same way. It starts off slow, and builds up to becoming more frequent. So, I took it to an Apple store... While there, I stumped 3 geniuses. They could not reproduce the problem, nor could they find anything in the logs that was helpful. They sent it in to AppleCare for me and after a couple weeks I received my macbook in the mail with a new HD installed. After a couple weeks of getting my serviced macbook back, the problem has started again from the start, starting slow and then happening 7+ times in a day. I talked to AppleCare for 2 1/2 hours, and all they could tell me was that there is nothing they can do until the problem becomes increasingly worse, to the point that they can reproduce the problem easily. This is very upsetting, since with the very consistent progression of these kernel panics (and freezes) will land right around my midterms I'm pissed off that Apple cannot offer better support on this matter. One kernel panic on an older computer every month or so would be pushing it... But with a problem that is persisting and giving me kernel panics every day?? C'mon it's frickin' joke.....ANYONE have ANY suggestions here? I'm pretty desperate here...

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I had a similar problem, after I splashed my PB, blowing the LCD powersupply.

After having the high voltage board replaced, it started kernel panicing like you described. I took it back to the repair shop twice, but they couldn't figure it out. I was so convinced it was a software fault, I tried everything, I was at my wits end.

Accidentally, I found pressing on a certain part of the palm wrists caused a panic. So I had a closer look inside, and found that gunk (capactior internals etc) from the blown powersupply had trickled down to a lower level, down to around the wi-fi card. Pressing on the wristpad caused something to press or come into contact with something, leading to a kernel panic.

I cleaned off all the gunk and now my PB works perfectly.

So I guess my tip is to try pressing quite hard, point by point, all over your macbook keyboard, wrist rests, etc. Try gently twisting and bending the chassis, seeing if you can make it kernel panic that way.

if you can reproduce it, then let the shop know and let them sort it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.