Kernel Panics on MBP mid 2010 (10.7.x)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GelleCC, Dec 15, 2012.

1. GelleCC macrumors regular

GelleCC

I'm trying to fix my friends computer (it crashed during finals week!). It can boot into safe mode but gets kernel panics almost every time I boot. Here's what I've done so far:

• Made sure software was up to date (Lion 10.7.x)
    • Ran AHT (which showed no problems)
    • Ran Disk Utility (fixed permissions/fixed disc)
    • Ran "S.M.A.R.T Utility" which showed HDD at 90% and failing (one bad sector but 650 errors)
    • Ran MemTest which showed memory to be fine
    • Erased HDD and reinstalled lion (running all of the above tests again)
    • Tried migrating all the data back from a backup (but I think the cable from the external hdd is bad.. so I'm still working on getting the data back)
    • Swapped the ram
    • removed the ram and tried to boot one at a time (in both slots - hit or miss getting a kp's)
    • Reboot in verbose mode (had no idea what I was looking at, but it didn't look like a "panic" was being written)
    • Swapped Hdd's but I think there was something wrong with that hdd (I hadn't used it in a reallllly long time) - the computer would boot, but just white screen, no panic or anything)
    • Tried booting FROM THE BACK UP (working hdd) got a Kp.
    I'm STILL getting kernel panics. I took it to apple, they tested the ts4088 error (showed nothing). It happened to not get a kernel panic every time they rebooted so they sent me on my way thinking they fixed it (they didn't do anything other than AHT and the TS4088 check).

Any ideas? Last time I got a kernel panic on a mac was from a MBA with a failing HDD, replaced it and then only got the kp if the brightness was turned all the way up (It's in one of the posts I've made, I think - about a year ago). Needless to say, I hate kernel panics and need some help.

Thanks in advance!

2. GelleCC thread starter macrumors regular

GelleCC

UPDATE: I ended up taking it in to apple again. They ran Apple Hardware Test and of course, that showed nothing. I left it for overnight tinkering and they called the next day saying that they had confirmed what I found, only a bad HDD (still doesn't explain the working hdd kernel panic).

I bought a new HDD and reformatted/reinstalled lion. Reset the NVRAM/PRAM. And it seemed to be working fine. Gave it back to my friend and it crashed while on youtube. So I updated it, found the videodriverupdate that apple put out to "fix" the nividia ts4088 error, it worked fine. So I gave it back to my friend again. Now kernel panics on startup (and this NEW HDD is testing fine).

So, still no closure. I think it's the ts4088 problem, which best bet is to put the old HDD in, pay apple the flat rate ($310 + Tax in washington) and they replace the bad HDD and the logic board.