Kernel panics related to RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nilscollection, May 10, 2012.

1. Nilscollection macrumors regular

Nilscollection

Hi everyone,

I've replaced my late 2011 MacBook Pro's RAM-memory last week and I keep getting kernel panics on random moments: when opening Photoshop, when shutting down the computer, when doing basic web browsing...
    I replaced the stock 4 GB sticks with 8 GB Corsair 1333 MHz DDR3 Mac-memory (240 pin) and I even got a kernel panic during memtest.

Now, I really need to use my computer tomorrow at school and I can't afford losing time and data so I was wondering: should I try changing the modules like putting the bottom one on top and vice versa, or should I just install the stock RAM modules for tomorrow but "lose" 4 GB? I sort of need the extra RAM...

I'd really appreciate a quick answer, so thanks in advance! :)

EDIT: I also tried to reinstall OS X - didn't help. The 10.7.4-update didn't help either.

2. Ccrew macrumors 68020

You could try switching them, it's also possible simply pulling and reseating will work.

That said, more frequently it's a bad DIMM. Consider switching back to your old ram if uptime is critical.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

is this what you used for MemTest? if its crashing during memtest than i would highly recomend puting your original ram back in to see if the kernal panics stop

4. Nilscollection thread starter macrumors regular

Nilscollection

That's what I used, yes. I'll put in the original RAM for tomorrow and I'll test the other set during the weekend.

Could failing RAM also be noticed by the Apple Hardware Test?