kernel panics, stripped screws, OWC data doubler, oh my

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JES, May 24, 2013.

1. JES macrumors member

Hi All,

I've been getting nasty kernel panics and crazy screen behavior from my 2011 17" MBP. It seems to run fine by itself, but plug it into my 27" display and after a few minutes it goes nuts.

I'd take it in for repair, as it's under warrantee, except that I installed an OWC data doubler. Since they won't work on computers that aren't stock, I figured I'd just remove the 2nd drive. In trying to get it out one of the screws stripped, and so now I can't remove it.

Any suggestions? Do I take it to a 3rd party place, have them remove the stripped screw and then go to the genius bar? Any clever tricks for getting stripped screws out?

I'm assuming the video card is part of the logic board, so it's not like they'll fix it with the data doubler in there.

Any general assistance in getting beyond "how screwed am I?" state would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Depending on how badly the screw is stripped, there are two things you could try....

One, put a rubber band between the screw and screwdriver. Basically using the rubber band to help fill in the missing metal portions of the screw.

Two, use a very small dab of crazy glue.... on the screw and let it settle/dry with the screwdriver on it, then try to remove.

Be very careful if you try crazy glue method, could easily make it worse if done wrong.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

OP
    Don't go for Super Glue, it will NOT work on small surfaces, it needs a bigger area to work for the force you apply.
    And, you could mess up the surrounding Aluminium.

4. JES thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

Already tried and failed with the rubber band (my screwdriver just cuts through), so it looks like it's doomed for a trip to professionals.

5. JES thread starter macrumors member

Just an update on this. I managed to have a pro drill out the stripped screw and give me a new one. I got everything out. It was obvious I'd been inside the computer.

Apple replaced the logic board under Applecare anyway, and now everything runs fine with my stuff back in it.