Kernel panics whenever connecting USB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macbookpronewb, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Macbookpronewb macrumors newbie

Two weeks ago I plugged in my printer via the Usb Hub on my Unibody Aluminium MBP, Os 10.5.6, bought 3 weeks ago. The moment I plugged it in it immediately displayed a multi lingual message saying that i needed to restart! I did so, and then plugged in my USB memory stick, tried the ipod, the iphone, the external HD, the camera. No luck. This ONLY happens when I connect a USB device! It never happened before. I didnt install any 3rd party software during this time and also deleted anything suspicious. Another problem alongside this one is the fact that my MBP can no longer sleep! It goes to sleep then comes back to life. Im really worried about the panics. :(:(:(:confused::confused: Tried the apple hardware test, it says "no troublE". any ideas? Any help greatly appreciated!!!Thanks!

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

3. rock6079 macrumors 6502

if PRAM doesnt work, you can always try an archive and install to see if it is any of the system files causing an issue. though this is a bit of a pain.
    since its only 3 weeks old i would take it to the store and ask for a new one, as it very likely could be a logic board issue

4. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

If reinstalling the software and clearing the SMC/PRAM doens't help. It's gonna be something more serious, perhaps you should seek technical help from Apple?

In most cases, if a kernel panic happens after inserting hardware, then it's cause by a hardware glitch and if that's the case, there's no software a user can install that will fix it.

5. Macbookpronewb thread starter macrumors newbie

Reset that Pram and SCM. No fix. Yet, I connected my iphone and it syncd perfectly with no problems. All the rest still malfunctioning though!Does this mean that it isnt a hardware problem?

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

7. Macbookpronewb thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Macbookpronewb thread starter macrumors newbie

BTW I ust completed another Apple Hardware Test on my macbook pro and it again reported that there wasnt any trouble here. Does this rule out the possibility of a damaged logicboard? If so, what else is left to help solve the panics? Also, will a system reinstall clear any troubles? Thanks everyone for their help.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What about other USB devices? Do you have another USB cable you can try? Can you try hooking this printer to another Mac?

The hardware test is only useful when it finds something, which isn't often, even when a hardware issue exists.

I would not try a reinstall of OSX at this point. Very disruptive, unlikely to help.

10. Macbookpronewb thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I live in Greece and down here Macs arent that popular among computer users hence it is more or less impossible to access another mac. Be rest-assured however, I will find one. As for the USB devices, they all worked fine during the first week, now they are all malfuntioning . Additionally, as mentioned above, the iPhone DOES work so perhaps this has something to do with drivers? Im confused!

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Do all USB devices (other than your iPhone) crash the Mac?

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Well, I'm sure if you contact the AppleCare and ask for them to send you a box, they might understand your predicament and compile? No harm in askin' right?

13. mattioats macrumors newbie

I discovered this problem on my MBP this morning, and have found a probable cause and solution.

Last weekend I had reason to downgrade my IOUSBFamily kernel extension to the 10.5.5 version (v 315.4.1, build 9F33) via this page. I hadn't plugged anything into a USB port apart from my iPhone all week, but today my USB stick caused a kernel panic every time. I re-upgraded to the kernel extension that came with 10.5.6 (v 327.4.0, build 9G55) and all seems to be well.

I'm not savvy enough to tell you how to check which kernel extension you're running, but I recommend either downloading and reinstalling the 10.5.6combo update, or downloading the kernel extension directly here.

No guarantees that this will work, but I had all your symptoms until I installed the above kernel extension.

14. Macbookpronewb thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!MATTIOATS!You FIXEEEED IT!I think im in a dream! When i jailbroke my iphone, to put it in DFU mode I had to download and install the 10.5.5 kernel version to allow access to DFU mode and now I reupdated with the latest ones and that fixed it! Youre like my hero! I am forever loyal:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D ANYTHING you need you can email at : livinginvirtual.reality94@gmail.com! Sleep problem also resolved!! YAYYYYYYY!!

15. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

Troubleshooting 101... always tell someone when you did something major to that affect.