Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well, I removed XP. I did a zero write install on the drive before installing OS X and now, everytime the screensaver enables, I get a Kernal Panic.

I have a MacBook Pro, and I don't know if anyone else has had this problem or not.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
I figured it out. I had installed the ram from my partners MacBook Pro that his wife killed, and it was evidently damaged during the episode. I removed it and have not had a kernal panic since. It was constant, like every 20 minutes, and now it has been hours. So I think it is ok.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Even macs are not immune from the disaster bad RAM can cause. Glad to hear it was not related to Windoze.

Are there Mac ram testers? Back in my PC days, there were DOS programs you could boot into that would test the ram specifically and tell you exactly where there were errors in it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Backtothemac said:
I figured it out. I had installed the ram from my partners MacBook Pro that his wife killed, and it was evidently damaged during the episode. I removed it and have not had a kernal panic since. It was constant, like every 20 minutes, and now it has been hours. So I think it is ok.

Wow, the impacts of domestic violence are far-reaching! I didn't know it caused kernel panics! :eek: ;) :D

I'm glad you found the solution, though! :)

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
RichP said:
Even macs are not immune from the disaster bad RAM can cause. Glad to hear it was not related to Windoze.

Are there Mac ram testers? Back in my PC days, there were DOS programs you could boot into that would test the ram specifically and tell you exactly where there were errors in it.
I think Apple Hardware test does this... Can anyone confirm?
Or tech-tool deluxe?

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
usually you can take it to a retailer and they can test it for you....thats what i did. mind you, that was with my old desktop.

what size of ram was it? and can you get a replacement one?

S

roxnadz

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
Backtothemac said:

Okay, the glaring question remains unanswered: Why did his wife kill his MBP?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Kingsly said:
I think Apple Hardware test does this... Can anyone confirm?
Or tech-tool deluxe?

Apple Hardware Test will sometimes find bad RAM, but a more effective test is Memtest.

Of course, if your Mac kernel panics all the time, that's the best indicator you'll ever have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.