Kernel Task and its spawn using cpu

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spikeanator6982, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

I have a Kernel task using, well currently around 75% of a core on my 2008MP and it seems to use much less, when I am not running anything. But say for example, I encode video and/or use folding at home. The Kernel Task uses more and more cpu. If i run nothing, the task uses virtually no CPU.

Two other things in activity monitor that i can link to the Kernel task are not responding. they are. "usereventagent" and "coreadiod"

They all stay with restart and shutdown. and with all apps closed.

any ideas?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

kerneltask is the kernel of the OS: the bit that does scheduling of processes across CPUs/cores deals with the hardware etc. It's critical to everything else.

Not 100% sure about usereventagent, normally I only see that when a core OS component wants me to enter an admin password and I've left the password window on another space. I suspect it's a process launched to get user attention when non-graphical processes require it.

Is coreadiod realy coreaudiod? If so it's the core audio demon process: you need this for sound!

3. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont have any thing that open that trying to get my attention though..

and yes it is most definitely coreaudiod. But my sound does work.

any ideas how to get this stuff working? Surely it can't be normal to have a kernel task using this much cpu, or to have those two processes (not responding).

4. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Don't worry about it. Everything is as it should be.

5. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

Idk I am pretty sure this isn't normal is it? anyone else?

ok for example I have InCrease running, for folding at home. set to run 8 cores and just last week it would on average use 70% of the 8 cores so like 560%. and now its using around 30% or 240% with the system using around 46% or 368%. Increase/folding at home is meant to leave some % left so it doesnt slow your system to a stutter. I KNOW this wasnt like this just last week.