Kernel_task @ 170%

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iScorp, Jul 27, 2010.

1. iScorp macrumors newbie

Hey there,

As of this evening my brand new Macbook pro 13" (mid 2010) started to have troubles. Kernel_task is going crazy for no apparent reason; kernel_task is using 170% of the CPU, even when there are no apps running. The fans are going crazy too. If I recall correctly the problems started after I hooked up my iPod and agreed on an iTunes update.

Now I've already done my share of googling and I came across a lot of the same problems, but with the Macbook Air. And there were no real solutions.

Rebooting seems to cause and fix the problem; Booting shortly after shutting it down seems to cause it. Shutting it down and waiting for 5-10 minutes before booting up again seems to fix it.

So that's problem number one.

Problem number 2:
    This one has been bothering me since I bought it last week; the ambient light sensor doesn't seem to work the way it's supposed to be. Even in an completely dark room it won't let me turn on the keyboard backlight. After a bit of googling it seemed to be a known issue, but again no real solution.
    Well rebooting it in a dark room seems to fix it but ye...See problem number one.

Anyway, I hope someone here can help me with these 2 problems and/or tell me if it's wise to pay a visit to the apple store I bought it.

Thanks,

Boy

2. justaregularjoe macrumors 6502

Hmmm... I also notice high kernal_tasks when streaming from a external HDD. Apparently this task handles much of the IO for the system; so, Hdd's, bluetooth, wifi?

3. iScorp thread starter macrumors newbie

WiFi was on and bluetooth was off. Could it be an overheating issue? The problems started when I was charging it and using it pretty heavy.