kernel_task killing my MBP 9,2 + OS X 10.10

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jackob, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Jackob macrumors newbie

Hi, here is whole my story of what happened, please read it and ask me, I really want to resolve his problem but I don't know how!!!!

MacBookPro 9,2 (MID 2012)

1. During summer holiday(OS X 10.9) and watching videos from external disc system crashed and appeared grey desktop with question mark - macbook was in servise and there was changed SATA cable + trackpad. After this everything was perfect. I just noticed little problem with USB external mouse(no APPLE mouse)

2. I upgraded system on OS X 10.10, everything was still perfect.

3. Two weeks ago while I had USB connected to mac and just browsing internet, Fan started to go really loudly and heavy, I opened"activity monitor" and for first time saw kernel_task process, it took 350% CPU useage and 650MB RAM. I turned off mac, waited and everything was fine.

4. This happened few more times. I found topics and solutions should be - reinstaling OS X. So I did. Everything was fine till today

5. It`s 3rd day after reinstalling system, and problem with kernel_task started again. So I started digging on forums.

6. Found few advices about kernel_task and this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkxC9SUSw00

its good solutions but not for me, in folder where I should delete specific file is not file with my type of macbook (mine is 9,2.....in folder the highest is 8,3) creator of video has no solution for my type.

7. so I continued looking for solution and I found this article:
    http://www.mactalk.com.au/11/116990-kernel_task-mavericks.html

so I did it, it helped, fan started going slower and quieter until everything was good and perfect, safari started working fast as never was.

8. I was so happy, but after 1 hour it started again, it is different now, fan started was fast, loud but it took just 1-2minutes and again is everything good. This happened again 3-4 times.

SO I`M BEGGIN FOR YOUR HELP, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO DO, BUT JUST HELP ME. HERE IS SCREEN ON MONITOR ACTIVITY FEW MIN BEFORE POSTING.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

First off what programs are you running, what other hardware do you have?

It is likely that there is something that is incompatible.

The kernel_task is the main OS X base. It's known as Darwin, and killing it shuts down your computer.

The kext you modified is a driver that tells OS X how to interact with the system management controller. Messing with it is seriously not recommended and can cause instability.

So. My advice is back up all your data, not your apps onto an external drive. This is important, as you're going to clean install your operating system. A clean install means wiping the internal drive and starting from scratch

Do some research online and make sure your software and hardware is compatible with OS X Yosemite. If it is not and you can't live without that particular piece of hardware or software then you're going to have to re-install Mavericks.

If you can use Yosemite, then great see below.

Reboot your Mac, holding down CMD+R to get into recovery mode.

From the menu at the top look for Utilities, and select disk utility, and erase the drive. Quit disk utility and re-install the OS.

Now slowly, one by one, install your peripherals, obtaining the latest driver software from the manufacturer's website (if appropriate). Connect them, test them, make sure everything works fine.

Then, re-install your apps. Install only the ones you need (this is an excellent opportunity to clear out the crap).

Finally, copy your data back.

If you need to go back to Mavericks

Reboot, holding down CMD+ALT+R

This will enable Internet Recovery.

Depending on when you bought your MBP it will have had either Mountain Lion or Mavericks from the factory. It will install whichever version it was.

Follow the instructions to re-install the OS.

If it was Mountain Lion that was installed, you can re-download Mavericks by going to the App Store, clicking on the purchases tab, and downloading OS X Mavericks from there. It will then take you through a Mavericks Install.

From Mavericks, re-install all of your peripherals (again use the latest drivers) and apps.

Then copy your data back.

3. Jackob thread starter macrumors newbie

All right, I`ll do clean installation OS Maverics, please write me what to do or what and how to check after instalation and I`ll post it here.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

The instructions are in my post above.

5. Jackob thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean, after installation...should I check any processes or do any diagnostic test ?

6. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

No, just use it. Mavericks was working fine before.

7. Jackob thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, but during summer when I had Maverics, while watching videos from external disc system collapsed and macbook was in service, they changed SATA cable and trackpad...is ti possible that problem is caused by external devices plugged into USB ports ?