kernel_task locks up my computer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikieMcBikie, Oct 18, 2012.

1. MikieMcBikie, Oct 18, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2012

MikieMcBikie macrumors regular

As the title says. I have the latest 2012 13" macbook pro, and every so often my computer totally locks up, and it is kernel_task shutting down 3 "virtual cores" and pegs the remaining one at 100%, moments later the system is unusable and the only thing that fixes it is a shutdown with the power button. I have made some changes I will list below to the hardware, but nothing uncommon. I did a google search for it, and removed some kexts on the only site i found discussing this issue(http://www.rdoxenham.com/?p=259) <-- this helped but no, still does it. It seems to be ok unless I do something intensive like copying a large amount of data, but just earlier tonight it flipped out when checking email :( I am planning this weekend to undo my upgrades and seeing if it makes a difference but i wanted to ask here if anyone has experienced this issue before i go thru taking it apart and removing my upgrades.

Modifications:
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10)

OCZ Technology 256GB Vertex 4 Series installed in the optical bay. I sue this as boot drive.

running mtn lion(10.8.2) and am up to date etc. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I love the setup I have now with the ram and ssd, but this is retarded and i cant deal with it anymore :(

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Run Apple hardware test to pinpoint the problem of remove the 3rd party RAM and see if it still happens.

----------

If you've never run AHT, instructions are here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

I'd run the extended test and enable looping and let it run overnight. The RAM test can take a LONG time especially if you've got 16GB installed.

3. MikieMcBikie thread starter macrumors regular

I tired that just an hour or so ago T5, system got so hot i shut it down after about five minutes with no progress on the test, which is why I posted here before I undo my upgrades. I cant see if the kernel_task is causing the heat so i got worried, fans didnt kick in or anything during the test. Once i shutdown and restarted, the temp was 192F, so it was much higher during the "test". I will swap out the ram first and make sure it isnt that before removing the ssd. really hope it isnt the sad<--wtf apple, its ssd for gods sake not sad. correct spelling automatically is OFF! geez maybe i just need to find a snow leopard install lol. anyways thanks for the input, glad for any more experience with this issue. A friend at work is having the exact same issues with the exact same computer and upgrades.

Edit: just noticed i made a mistake, i am on mtn lion (10.8.2) and maybe will try going back to 10.7, what ever cat that is ;)

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

10.8.x should run just fine on your computer. Chances are your issue is caused by a RAM or CPU error, not related to your SSD. If you put the stock RAM back in, you should be able to see which one it is.

5. MikieMcBikie thread starter macrumors regular

Ram seems to be fine, passing the AHT. I have tasked the cpu pretty hard and it doesnt seem to have a problem. It seems to be when I am using the SSD with copies or even the disk speed test(black magic). I checked for a firmware update and i have the latest version. I've done all sorts of things, and it just happens randomly. Google searches leave me with nothing lol.

I am currently using CCC to use the stock 500 internal to run off of, and see if that changes the issue any. I am only updating this thread in case someone else may see it, and that it comes up on a google search ;)

6. MikieMcBikie thread starter macrumors regular

update: for any google searchers

seems running trim enabler with this SSD causes the issue. in my research it turns out i dont need trim enabler running *facepalm.

system has been fine after disabling the program(trimenabler)