Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

in/flux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Hi all,

I have a Penryn MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, with 2GB of RAM running OS X Leopard 10.5.2.

I usually leave my laptop on or at sleep for days, and it usually works. However, on one random day, at one random time, every 4 seconds kernel_task gets 140 or so CPU cycles and completely locks the system from use (mouse stops moving, no activity) for 10 seconds or so. This goes on in a cycle.

Before this happens, I see that the syslogd process gains a lot (50+) of CPU, and then it just crashes.

Not sure what is going on.

Thanks!

Soulwar

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
Estero, FL
Hi all,

I have a Penryn MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, with 2GB of RAM running OS X Leopard 10.5.2.

I usually leave my laptop on or at sleep for days, and it usually works. However, on one random day, at one random time, every 4 seconds kernel_task gets 140 or so CPU cycles and completely locks the system from use (mouse stops moving, no activity) for 10 seconds or so. This goes on in a cycle.

Before this happens, I see that the syslogd process gains a lot (50+) of CPU, and then it just crashes.

Not sure what is going on.

Thanks!
Seems to be a known problem. Try some of the "solutions" here.
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20071030233438149

Soulwar

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
Estero, FL
No dice. Thanks, though.

It was worth a shot.
I've read a lot of articles about it. Usually, they claim different applications that cause it, that it's writing to the system log. From what I read though, it appears Apple knows about it and are working on a fix. Hopefully, anyways.

Have you tried creating a new user account or an archive and install? (may not work, but read my signature) ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.