Kernel_task problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alexanderg, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Alexanderg macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am having serious problems with my Macbook Pro OS X 10.7.2 Lion (July 2011).
    For the last 8 hours i have been pulling my hair out trying to understand whats wrong, searched through hundreds of different help forums trying to find a cure. So i was hoping there was a Dr. House here who could help me solve this puzzle. The problem started occurring suddenly one day with no apparent reason (I was sitting on Facebook, closed the screen, came back 5 hours later and the problem had occurred). Keep in mind i am fairly new to mac, so my experience in Terminal and how a mac works in general is pretty bad.

Symptoms:
    Fan running high
    Not warm
    Kernel_task using 300+% go the cpu
    Runs fine in safe mode (fans still run high though)

I have tried a couple things i read might help with no luck:
    Cleaned with Cleanmymac
    Restarted (ofcourse)
    Uninstalled Printer driver
    Turned off wifi bluetooth etc devices

Responding as if I were a PC user with a mac would be much appreciated.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Try resetting the SMC.
    Do you have Parallels installed?
    One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. While you may not have experienced problems yet, enough people have that it's wise to avoid it, especially since there are free alternatives that have better reputations, such as Onyx. I highly recommend you uninstall it.

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.

3. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Try creating a new user and logging into that account only.

Not sure why kernel_task would go crazy... is there any other process that is using a significant amount of CPU or memory?

A HD wipe & reinstall might also solve the problem. However you should also consider just bringing it to Apple, if that is an option where you live.

4. Alexanderg thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I think I resetted the SMC (shift+ctrl+option+power), didn't really get any type of confirmation that it was successful.
    Didn't help

Im not really sure what parallels are?