kernel_task saturatin CPU and slowing down my cMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ethan-1878, Jun 8, 2014.

1. ethan-1878 macrumors member

kernel_task on my 13-inch MacBook Pro (Mid-2012) randomly ramps up to 200%+. This can happen at any time and does not need a specific program to be open for it to happen. Sometimes this happens whilst running Parallels, sometimes whilst using Pages, sometimes during start up and sometimes after I have logged in but before I have opened anything.

During this, my MacBook Pro begins to lag and becomes unresponsive.

I can not replicate this issue.

This is becoming really annoying now and I can't seem to fix it:(

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Do a fresh install.

3. Nasty275ss macrumors member

Yes, I just had the same problem even after I bought a BRAND spanking New Logic board for my Retina MBP 15" 2013 and the "kernel task" was at 600% I fooled around with it and reinstalled/wiped the hard drive and updating safari and it still occurred for a day or so after but then hasn't happened since, its been a week and half so far with no more troubles, yea it totally makes your mac worthlessly slow, try a fresh install and make sure safari is updated as well, it seemed like safari was my problem.

4. ethan-1878 thread starter macrumors member

I've performed a fresh install of OS X 10.9.3 on my SSD twice now - I'm beginning to think that it could be some of the content stored on my optibayed drive which holds all of my media (music, pictures etc.)

I'm just really angry now because my MacBook Pro is only 18 months old and is out of warranty. I might just book it into a Genius Bar anyway and see what they say.

Thanks for your help!

5. Nasty275ss macrumors member

honestly, yes, most of the time when you take it to apple all you hear is "Logic Board" but make sure they hook it up and check it out, I had a 2010 15" MBP that would shut down EVERY single time I opened certain apps esp. more then 3 at once and it was the logic board, they said it wasn't software related, the CPU was going bad or something, hope thats not the case, but yea Id be pissed too if its only 18 months old and the boards starting to go out, I do a lot of torrenting (downloading movies) if you don't know, and that was causing issues too, OSX is so touchy it seems, I reinstalled a fresh copy of OSX on mine 4 times before it started acting normal again, Im using it right now and for almost 2 weeks without the Kernel Panics, so Idk wtf the problem was, it just went away it seems like, and mine is a BRAND NEW board.

6. ethan-1878 thread starter macrumors member

If you don't mind me asking - did you pay for the new Logic Board? If so, how much did Apple overcharge you? ;)

I just don't want to have to fork out all kinds of money for a computer that I've spent nearly £1500 on already.

7. Nasty275ss macrumors member

I buy/sell macs for a living and bought the mac already water damaged for dirt cheap and bought a new board off Ebay, with a one year warranty, it was $649, yours is a 2012, it will probably be around the same price unless you find a great deal. but do some testing first to make sure its just a software issue, take it to apple have them hook it up, they can tell you if its hardware or software, hope for software bcuz that can be fixed

8. ethan-1878 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks for all of your help! :)