kernel_task takes all of CPU, even after restore

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by scenemissing, Nov 7, 2011.

1. scenemissing macrumors member

I just wanted to see if anyone had seen this before, but I suspect I will have to take it in to get serviced. My 2011 13" Air has the following symptoms:

Fan goes to max a few seconds after boot
    Mouse is stuttery
    kernel_task taking up 320% of CPU or more (which i'm sure is causing the above fan and stuttering problems)

I've done a clean restore already and the problem persists. I've also reset PRAM and PMU.

Anything left to try other than a HW problem?

2. spacedrabbit macrumors member

bad cpu/logicboard/thermal sensor. it doesn't really matter, it's likely all the same part on that model of MBA.

3. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

How long has the computer been up for? Maybe OS X is just performing scheduled heavy maintenance tasks. What do the logs say ("Console" app)?

4. spacedrabbit macrumors member

very possible

on a clean installation the only process i can think off that will tax the cpu is mds/mdworker for spotlight cataloging

5. scenemissing thread starter macrumors member

Now it gets stranger... I do not get the problem when booting off of a clone of a different 2011 Air (10.7.1 - mostly clean system from work)

I swear that I fully erased the partition when doing the restore - I formatted it using disk utility after baking up data to an external drive and then did the Lion net restore. I had to do the full initial setup and I did not restore my data.

I guess I will keep messing with it.

6. hondavtec macrumors newbie

IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext

I had the same problem, removing IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext in root/System/Library/Extensions and rebooting solved this issue for me...