Kernel_task!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Casteiron, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Casteiron macrumors newbie

Somebody please please please tell me someone has figured out a way to fix the kernel_task running rampant and eating up all the CPU. When the problem happens the laptop becomes completely unusable.

The other day while working in Pro Tools (pro audio software) it happened again and totally destroyed a session. I had to stop for hours until it resolved itself and went back to normal because the only solution was unplugging the charger. That wasn't a viable solution because even though kernel_task would go back to normal after a few minutes, the regular CPU load means the battery dies quickly. So plugged up the laptop is useless because of kernel_task. Unplugged it's useful only for a brief amount of time.

Has anyone figured out how to correct this problem yet?

Attached Files:

2. simsaladimbamba

That is a bit excessive. Since when does this occur?
    Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

Taking screenshots in Mac OS X
    Performance Tips For Mac OS X

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. michial macrumors 6502

michial

I have a similar and maybe related question about kernel task.My activity monitor shows a "kernel task" by "root" using up 500 mb and 97 threads. What is that and why is it taking up so much space? Ive read many posts who have several gb os kernel tasks and their upgrading of RAM only allocated it to the kernel task. What is kernel task?

4. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

^^

Your question is a bit different than the OP--his has to do with abnormal CPU load--which may be related to some other software he is running. Kernel Task is the core of OSX and is what is first executed to get everything else moving--hence why it has many threads. It is more than essential since without it nothing else can follow.

5. michial macrumors 6502

michial

Ok thanks.

6. AirThis macrumors 6502a

7. Casteiron thread starter macrumors newbie

Logged in as a guest and it still happens. The only thing that resolves it is running the laptop on battery. I'm overseas and not near an Apple store, so I can't take it in.

I found a "fix" that involved removing a kext file (more info here: _http://www.rdoxenham.com/?p=259) that worked for a few months but the laptop began to overheat, so I put it back and now it's hell all over again.

I'm lost here. It's severely impacting my work. I'm desperate for a fix now.

8. Badazrael macrumors newbie

Temporary Solution for the kernel_task Problem

I found a temporary Solution for the kernel_task Problem.

(If you dont want to plug the power cable on and off.)

I bought a mini fan for about 10 € put it next to my macbook pro and turned it to the direction where the battery is. Wait a minute and watch in your activity monitor how the kernel_task slows down from 200% to 4,3 or something like that.. The only thing whats annoying is the sound wich comes from the fan. But thats a small price to pay :)

I think another solution would be to completely delete your hardrive and install Snow Leopard.
    But im to lazy to try that out so i just stick with my fan solution.

I have this setup for a year now and never had any kernel_task overheating (or whatever you call it) problems again. (even in games with much cpu usage)