Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
I read that people apart of his new paid email list are getting this..

From: Kevin Rose <foundation@tinyletter.com> Date: Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM Subject: [foundation] [rumor] Apple's iPad 2 launching soon!

I have it on good authority that Apple will be announcing the iPad 2 in the next "3-4 weeks", possibly Tuesday February 1st. The iPad 2 will feature a retina display and front/back cameras.

If you're thinking of buying an iPad, hold off for now.

Kevin

Not sure when he was ever right about things but he is a huge fanboy with enough pull to get the dirt on stuff sometimes. Take it with a grain of salt I suppose.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Yes, a retina display. Then it will be backward compatible with iPhone 4 games.

lolz

schaabie

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
His definition of a retina display must be different....300+ppi (the minimum number of pixels per inch necessary to claim "retina display") on a device of that size is not likely

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I cannot imagine anyone walking with a back camera snapping pictures. It has a good use for facetime so will most likely be included but the overall idea of taking pictures from a 10" device is rather stupid.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I cannot imagine anyone walking with a back camera snapping pictures. It has a good use for facetime so will most likely be included but the overall idea of taking pictures from a 10" device is rather stupid.

There are several threads around that highlight some very good reasons to include a back camera. It isn't just about snapping casual photos as a camera replacement. I personally don't care one way or another, but there are certainly good reasons for it for some folks.

schaabie

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010

I dont believe the purpose will be for shooting pics...it will likely be a low quality camera used for the same purpose as the iphone when you want to show your surroundings on facetime. Just swap the cameras.

zerocustom1989

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
That i can definitely agree with and very much needed as the iphone4 display makes the ipad display look bad at times

Since, you tend to hold the iPad farther from your face apple can still claim it to be a 'retina' display. It just means that at the normal viewing distance(normal being defined by apple) you cant notice the pixels.

Granted, I still think that may be a little too much of a stretch.

Hope we get some iOS5 information soon too.

jns2001

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
That i can definitely agree with and very much needed as the iphone4 display makes the ipad display look bad at times

My take is if there is a second camera, most likely will be utilized for augmented reality.

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
I dont believe the purpose will be for shooting pics...it will likely be a low quality camera used for the same purpose as the iphone when you want to show your surroundings on facetime. Just swap the cameras.

That's exactly what I said.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

This would make sense if say -- there are other tablets that have just been released or announced? Is there some coming out within the next month or so?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.