Key Bindings in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Brendon Bauer, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I was just curious, is there any way to do this? I hate how I have to use the "fn" key to use my Fkeys. I have to do fn+F6 on my Macbook Pro to activate whatever uses the F6 key. Is there any way to make it so it reverses this? As in, hitting fn+F6 makes the num lock turn on, but hitting just F6 will do whatever I have set to it, like expose, etc. I've tried searching, but not really sure what to do. I would only like to reverse a few of them, as I'd obviously still like my sound, brightness and eject keys to be default. But the rest can be reversed... I hardly ever use numlock, keyboard brightness or the screen input button.

Hope I'm not too confusing :D

2. winslayer macrumors newbie

In System Preferences under Keyboard & Mouse, under the Keyboard tab there is a box "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys". If you check this box, it will do what you want, as that's what I have mine set to as well. However, I don't know of any way to just make some of the keys do it one way and the other keys do it the other way. It would be nice to be able to use brightness and volume keys without having to use Fn, but I know of no way to split it up.

3. Brendon Bauer thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, it's half of what I wanted anyways. I just really don't like having to hit fn to use my volume keys and whatnot. Seems silly... almost windows like ;). If anyone knows a way to only change some, like using a keybinding file or something, let me know! I found this website, but not sure if it's what I need. What do you think? Could it be possible to do this way? I just don't know the commands for Dashboard, Expose, etc. I want to assign some of the function keys to dashboard, expose and spaces, but leave others for their intended purpose.

http://www.lsmason.com/articles/macosxkeybindings.html