Key Board and Mouse not working -- network question! -- now with bonus HD question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dikkers, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Dikkers macrumors member

Ok, so first post here, so hi!!

Have generally owned a PC, and when i had to do a semi urgent job and my PC died, i borrowed a Mac from my work (work on macs)

I've got the the very final stage and the mouse and keyboard have stopped working.

I'm sure i've tried every USB point on both the Keyboard and Mouse. and nothing.

Do the USB points burn out or something? Is the only solution a service?

Can i take the HD out and just plug it into my computer at work (G5) to get the files off and finish the procject? Maybe just plug it into the network here and turn it on to drag the files off?

So close to finishing, but yet so far >_<

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

hey

have you tried a different keyboard and mouse? if yes then the usb ports are prob busted or theres something wrong with the drivers on the emac.

you will have to share the folder that your work is on or put it in the public folder to get the files from a another computer on the network. for this you will prob need a mouse or keyboard.

3. Dikkers thread starter macrumors member

yes i was hoping that who ever set up this emac had shared the desktop from the start

but my plan has been foiled

need to enter a password to connect to the server! >_<

any other ideas? mac repair shop is about all i got at the moment.

4. Dikkers thread starter macrumors member

ok, now i have a new question!

i think i found it on the net work, even tho haven't entered a password on the broken emac

but hit "connect as guest" for some reason.

how do i make my mac forget this setting and connect as authorised user?

OR???

can i just whip the HD out of the emac and plug intop my G5?

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

i'm not 100% sure because i don't have an g5 but don't they use sata drives? while im sure your mac uses ide. correct me if i'm wrong but if they are the same, it will work by removing your drive and hooking it up to your g5.

6. Dikkers thread starter macrumors member

thanks, but didn't need to go that far/

got the files of via the network, finally, after establishing that someone had changed the computer name from the 6 or so usuals to.....

chicken dawg!

very helpful that