Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jack Wang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2018
I have bought a new Macbook Pro on 4th Feb 2018 and found there was right half keyboard no responding on 6th Feb. And after send QCD Technology Pte Ltd (Apple authorized service center), the technician called in the same day and told me it is OS issue. They have reinstalled for me the problem has been solved.

On the 16th March, I encountered same problem again. I went down the QCD again. The reception told me it is same problem OS issue. Upon I asking for re-installation the OS, the reception immoderately told me it is chargeable of 187SGD. I was very upset and questioned her why it is free last service. She said no, it didn't mention in last report they did reinstall the OS for me. Then seems a manger or supervisor immediately nearby explained to me they can guide me to reinstall OS without charges.

And then a technician come out from the service center, I explained to him the problem and asked why the same problem come back again just a month time. Then he said they can send the Macbook to service center to do a complete test.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The 2016 and 2017 MBPs seem to have an issue with defective keyboards, its not a software issue, but hardware.

Putting on my moderator hat, I've updated the title so that it makes more sense, it for people searching it will come up with other keyboard problems.

Queen6

macrumors G4
The 2016 and 2017 MBPs seem to have an issue with defective keyboards, its not a software issue, but hardware.

Putting on my moderator hat, I've updated the title so that it makes more sense, it for people searching it will come up with other keyboard problems.

I would love to see all these 2016/0217 MBP keyboard issue placed in one thread then we would really see the extent of the issue, more would take action and fewer excuse Apple for such poor execution of design...

Q-6

exogeneity

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2018
Go to the Apple Store at Orchard Road. Skip these providers. They are just ripping poor Singaporeans off!

memento mori

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
If these Key Boards are really this bad I can't see why people are buying these laptops.
Why reward a poor design?

If I'd known about this issue when I was buying my MBP you can be sure I wouldn't touch these machines with a 10 foot pole, and I'm confident I wouldn't be the only one. Problem is, no one knew, you'd be hard pressed to find any mention of this keyboard flaw in ANY review of this notebook.

Reactions: Sebastian79

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
green asked:
"If these Key Boards are really this bad I can't see why people are buying these laptops.
Why reward a poor design?"

Because it's an Apple
What have they ever done that was wrong?

OP:
As others have said, it's the keyboard, NOT "software".
The ONLY way to fix it is to replace the keyboard. That involves replacing the ENTIRE TOP CASE -- a VERY expensive fix.
Since it's nearly-new (and under warranty), Apple will fix this free of charge.
If the local shop won't cooperate, call or email Apple.

If you don't do this, you are going to become a VERY unhappy owner...!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jerryk and Queen6
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.