Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CBX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
In my key chain under 'System' I have a couple of 'self-signed' root certificates which are showing as not trusted.

They are:

com.apple.kerberos.kdc
com.apple.systemdefault

both are due to expire in 2027

Anyone got any ideas what they are or if they are a problem being as they are not trusted?

Retired
May 16, 2006
Threads on the Apple Discussion Forums show that this is not an isolated incident and should not cause a problem...

CBX

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Cheers, new to mac im a bit over worried i guess :)

Will this be cleared out in a future update or just left as there are no problems?

Virgil-TB2

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
In my key chain under 'System' I have a couple of 'self-signed' root certificates which are showing as not trusted.

They are:

com.apple.kerberos.kdc
com.apple.systemdefault

both are due to expire in 2027

Anyone got any ideas what they are or if they are a problem being as they are not trusted?
Apologies for the necro-posting but I am trying to troubleshoot "Back to My Mac" problems and also have this situation in my keychain.

Is there no-one who can actually explain what this is and why we shouldn't be worried about it? It seems like two very basic certificates are "not trusted" here. Why would that not affect the (seemingly) important keys that rely on them?

It's nice to know that these errors probably don't matter, but it would be nicer still to know *why* they don't matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.