Key Chain

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mindlogo, Sep 7, 2010.

1. mindlogo macrumors newbie

Will key chain automatically store passwords for various websites? If so, how do you activate it. What is the best way to take full advantage of the application?

2. Queso macrumors G4

It will do so automatically providing you are using a browser that utilises it for password storage. Both Safari and Camino will use the KeyChain. I think Opera also does. Firefox uses its own store.

3. LPZ macrumors 65816

In Safari, go to Preferences-->AutoFill and check the "User names and passwords" box.

4. vasea45 macrumors newbie

how can i manage to see the password from my email(i haven't typed it in ages, i hat the "remember username and password" option activated) in keychain? when i try it to see it in the traditional way, instead of the password, it shows me some letters that make no sense, and don't look like my password at all. the same thing happens with every password i try to see.

Attached Files:

5. LPZ macrumors 65816

Maybe try Keychain First Aid in the Keychain Access menu?

6. vasea45 macrumors newbie

thanks for the advice, i just tried it. it's still the same, any other ideas? :)

7. LPZ macrumors 65816

So all the stored passwords have the same odd appearance? What happens if you go to a site (or use an app) that relies on one of these stored passwords? Is the correct password supplied despite the odd appearance? ie, can you login to sites using data from your keychain? Also, what if you go to a new site that requires a password (or delete an existing key from the keychain) and ask for the new password to be stored. When you look at that new password does it also appear odd? Are you using FileVault to encrypt your Home folder?

8. vasea45 macrumors newbie

-allmost all the stored passwords have look like this, there is one application that it works for, i attached a picture of it.
    -i have no problems using applications that rely on the stored passwords
    -i'm using firefox, and i understand that it keeps the passwords in a different location, but as i sad, i have no problems with the applications that use keychain(yahoo messenger, airport, skype. for skype, it doesn't even show anything when i try to see the password. nothing happens after i type the system password)
    -i don't know what Fire Valut is, but i'll do some research on it. i am using the basic stuff that the computer comes with, so probably the answer to this question is "no"
    thanks for answering so far mate!

Attached Files:

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

One messy way is through Terminal, execute the following command. Make sure the keychain you're accessing is in "unlocked" mode.
    Code:
    security dump-keychain -d
    You'll see a lot of stuff for each keychain item. The line after "data:" will show the password in plain text for that item. I can't say if it will show the correct password, or the corrupt looking one you see from Keychain Access, but it's worth a shot.

10. vasea45 macrumors newbie

i notice that for the passwords stored for airport, it works with the Terminal solution, but for yahoo messenger and skype shows the same weird stuff.

11. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I kind of figured. My only other suggestion would be to use Yahoo's "forgot password" options on their web sites to retrieve or change the password.

12. vasea45 macrumors newbie

i tried that as well, but the id is 10 years old and i can't remember any of the security questions or anything i shuold now to retrieve the password.

13. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I am a little unversed on the Key Chain myself. What is the recommendation when it comes to storing information on the Key Chain, or purchasing one of those software programs that store all your passwords?